Author Topic: Hipo main cap oddity  (Read 2676 times)

Boxerville's Manor

• View Profile
Hipo main cap oddity
« on: April 06, 2021, 11:36:27 PM »
Hello,
Does anyone have any insight into the c30e-6329-a HiPo end cap part number?  Looking for any literature referencing this part number.

Thank you

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: Hipo main cap oddity
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 10:35:17 AM »
Hello,
Does anyone have any insight into the c30e-6329-a HiPo end cap part number?  Looking for any literature referencing this part number.

Thank you

You won't find any literature because main caps were not serviced individually OR in sets. The only reference would be on the ( internal Ford) build sheet for the block assembly at the engine plant. Yes the C30E cap was specific to the HiPo block. Regular production caps were C20E.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 01:57:55 PM »
Hello,

Thank you

Not sure it will help, but here's an old discussion on the HiPo forum about rear main cap cast with C30E-6329-A instead of the normal C30E-A. You will have to register and login to view it...

https://hipo-mustang.com/thread/4491-289-rear-main-cap-casting-numbers/?postID=12704&highlight=%2522c30e-6329-a%2522#post12704

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Boxerville's Manor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 04:27:40 PM »
Hello,

Thank you

Not sure it will help, but here's an old discussion on the HiPo forum about rear main cap cast with C30E-6329-A instead of the normal C30E-A. You will have to register and login to view it...

https://hipo-mustang.com/thread/4491-289-rear-main-cap-casting-numbers/?postID=12704&highlight=%2522c30e-6329-a%2522#post12704

Dave

Dave,
Thank you for that link.  Fred Ballard sent it to me as well.  But surprisingly it was the ONLY discussion I have found online concerning this part number. 

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 05:21:54 PM »
Dave,
Thank you for that link.  Fred Ballard sent it to me as well.  But surprisingly it was the ONLY discussion I have found online concerning this part number.

Do you know what engine it originally came out of?

You might try contacting Bob Mannel to see if he has any current info...
Dave - 6S1757

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 05:31:07 PM »
   Parts are made "to blueprint" . The casting number change was for the material change and keeping them separate from "standard rear main caps" It is lesser known but there were also C5FE and C6FE casting number rear main caps made in steel alloy and nodular iron ( respectively) for use on Indy and GT 40 race blocks. NO production engines had these caps.
  Randy

Boxerville's Manor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 07:18:52 PM »
Dave,

Do you know what engine it originally came out of?

You might try contacting Bob Mannel to see if he has any current info...

In the link posted above, BoB Mannel mentions "ive never seen anything like it", in reference to the HiPo end cap part number casted into it.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 08:35:49 PM »
C30E = 1963 Fairlane (product line) Engine (source engine engineering office)
6329 = part number for all main caps
A = change level. B - C - etc changes would be listed on the print drawing and reflect any changes in dimensions or material.

A lot of times you don't see the center set of numbers used. I'd wager some employee came up with eliminating the number as a cost savings. After a few thousand castings there would be enough to cast another set of main caps.

My uncle ran the Cleveland Casting Plant when he retired in the 80s. He was transferred there when it opened. My cousin worked there summers while in college. He said some of the alloys they made for special castings (race engines) would have 25-50 pounds of different materials added per ton. He said normal castings just got a big scoop from a couple different piles and that was close enough. My uncle was right after 2 summers with a big corporation stuck in one place my cousin decided to become a mining engineer.
It would be nice to have access to all the Ford part change details but a lot have probably been trashed and any of the new stuff would be considered to be company secrets. Ford is also trying to get out of the casting business they have closed Windsor & Cleveland. The Rouge River steel mill - Henry's pride and joy for building the Model T is now owned and run by the Russians. Ford is 40 years behind Japan. When they wanted to build the SHO Taurus with the Yamaha heads Japan had no cast iron engine casting capability. The blocks were cast/machined here and sent to Japan to be finished and shipped back. The 32V SVT Cobra Mustang were cast in Italy by Tecsked (?) the same people who do many of Ferraris engine castings. When NASCAR needed Cleveland blocks all that casting had been sent to Australia so they were done there and sent here to pass out to teams and sell in the Motorsport catalog.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:41:27 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 11:47:48 AM »
  I've seen numerous "raw" casting main caps and the casting number is on the inside and is machined out when the block/caps are line bored ant the engine plant. Boss 302 caps are done this way. While this cap is different it is nothing special beyond being a hipo rear main cap.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 02:18:08 AM »
Pic of what Randy is talking about:
C9ZE cap

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 11:41:53 AM »
   Thanks Roy , exactly what I was talking about. H&M Charlotte had "stacks" of those raw caps when I was there in '77 . $1 a piece was the price. I didn't buy any but Ray did. Poor move on my part!