News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

THE RAILROAD CARS

Started by papa scoops, April 11, 2018, 12:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350cs

This is what I have recorded, still hoping to find out more about these cars. It makes since that there could have been 15 cars based upon how they were typically loaded,

02240 - University Ford Sales, Inc. - Champaign, Illinois
02363 - UNKNOWN
02365 - Stark Hickey Ford, Inc. - Royal Oak, Michigan
02621 - Downtown Ford - Detroit, Michigan
02807 - Hayes Motor Company - South Sioux City, Nebraska
02946 - Yates-Stevens Ford - Kirkwood, Missouri
02270 - Larry Lange Ford - Cedar Falls, Iowa
02339 - Larry Lange Ford - Cedar Falls, Iowa
02757 - Larry Lange Ford - Cedar Falls, Iowa
02759 - ABJ Ford, Inc. - Trenton, Illinois
02511 - F.A. Groves Ford - Cape Girardeau, Missouri
02679 - Larry Lange Ford - Cedar Falls, Iowa
02702 - University Ford Sales, Inc. - Champaign, Illinois
02801 - Burns Ford, Inc. - Louisville, Kentucky

Dennis

greekz: please post the picture so we can compare notes. Thanks

TLea

Quote from: greekz on May 03, 2018, 05:15:48 PM
Quote from: TLea on May 03, 2018, 04:12:30 PM
I have pictures of 2240. The current and original owners son shared this with me,

My father bought the blue GT350 from the Santa Fe salvage yard in San Bernardino California. There were 14 cars on their was to the upper Midwest when the train derailed. Two cars we damaged but the Santa Fe policy was they must buy all of the product. My father and grandfather were long time railroaders and got first dibs on the cars. You have to hear my fathers version of the cars on the lot. He tells of a special order 427 with a supercharger but I have never been able to validate it. Anyhow he purchased #2240 for my mother and brought it home to

Interesting information, but raises a few questions. 

1.  If he is saying these cars were being transported by Santa Fe, how does Southern Pacific get involved?  SPRR sold all of the cars after picking them up from Santa Fe Salvage Depot.

2.  I know 2759 and I believe my car, #2339 were damaged.  Hard to believe there were only two.

3.  Does the current owner of 2240 now any details of the derailment?

4.  The latest registry states the Santa Fe Salvage Depot was in Los Angeles, CA not San Bernardino.

Greek
Great questions. Unfortunately I am just relaying info and don't have a personal investment. However assuming person is not a. lying b. forgetful c. insane/dementia etc I can offer these pices of info based on my communication with him.
1. He is first owner after derail
2. He worked for Sante Fe RR
3. He saw all the cars
4. He still owns 2240
I can try to find out more

gt350cs

TLea,

Any information would be much appreciated. Would love to know more about this topic.

Dennis

cbrown

As Tim  knows,  We  are getting ready to move # 2240 to our shop. There is going to be a complete story, interview with original owner , and video of us getting car from original owner at his home.   I have already received tons of pictures and paperwork on car.   The original owner is still alive and has great stories about getting the car.   I will post more when we have the details.    Should be a pretty cool story!!!

chris

Richstang

Quote from: cbrown on May 04, 2018, 10:56:17 AM
As Tim  knows,  We  are getting ready to move # 2240 to our shop. There is going to be a complete story, interview with original owner , and video of us getting car from original owner at his home.   I have already received tons of pictures and paperwork on car.   The original owner is still alive and has great stories about getting the car.   I will post more when we have the details.    Should be a pretty cool story!!!

chris

Thanks Chris!
:)
I'm sure we are all looking forward to hearing more!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

TLea

Owners son contacted me about 4 months ago. I told him it was a great story and piece of history, story needed to be told. I connected him with good media outfit and after discussion it was suggested the story would be better if car was running  Because of geographic location I felt it was important to connect him with honest, reliable shop in Missouri area. I contacted Chris and he gladly accepted. Stay tuned

gt350cs

As Paul Harvey would say, looking forward to "The rest of the story". Appreciate all those sharing with us.

greekz

My spreadsheet apparently is too large for the Forum and I get the message the uploader is full.

If someone knows how to get it loaded on the thread, let me know and I will email it to you.

SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

greekz

Here is the spreadsheet.  I was able to shrink in down some.

Greek

98SVT - was 06GT

1.  If he is saying these cars were being transported by Santa Fe, how does Southern Pacific get involved?  SPRR sold all of the cars after picking them up from Santa Fe Salvage Depot.
Santa Fe may have been the transporting company and traveling on SP tracks. If a track failure caused the wreck then liability would become the responsibility of the SP.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

greekz

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 05, 2018, 06:51:15 PM
Santa Fe may have been the transporting company and traveling on SP tracks. If a track failure caused the wreck then liability would become the responsibility of the SP.

That is a valid point.  It is worth looking into. 

gt350cs

Thanks for adding the spreadsheet greekz.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: greekz on May 05, 2018, 02:44:01 PM
Here is the spreadsheet.  I was able to shrink in down some.

Greek

It's amazing to think that 4 of those cars were headed to the same location in IA! Would never have guessed.
Nothing beats a classic!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on May 06, 2018, 09:23:06 AM
It's amazing to think that 4 of those cars were headed to the same location in IA! Would never have guessed.
Early version of Field of Dreams?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Road Reptile

Hi Rail fans,
A quick note 2621 also had body damage which was evident when you looked inside the trunk,right 1/4 panel was replaced-it was bought at a deep discount, which we assume was due to this
repair,and first registered as a 1967 Chevy G.T. 350  in California. So far that is 3 cars all with damage on the right side. Now you know what I know. Thanks to all who continue to attempt to
figure out a 51 year old case.
Regards R.R.