Author Topic: 67 gt500 carpet installation tips  (Read 1755 times)

V8Dave

• View Profile
67 gt500 carpet installation tips
« on: April 15, 2021, 04:12:39 PM »
Hello everyone
I am about to replace the carpet in a 67 gt500 due to deteration and wear with a new carpet. The brand is acc and I believe it is the deluxe version with thick undefeated already installed.
I have taken the carpet out of the box its shipped in and have let it rest and lie in the hot sun on sunny days so as to help it relax a little.
I was just curious if anyone could offer me any helpful tips or advice on how best to install one of these carpet assembly's so as to get a nice clean , crisp fitting carpet with as little wrinkles as possible.
I believe the back piece is fitted first then the front overlaps it.
Again if anyone with any guidance could suggest or give me any advice it would be much appreciated.
Thanks everyone for your time.
Stay safe
Dave

Lfino

• View Profile
Re: 67 gt500 carpet installation tips
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 05:17:26 PM »
I just did mine not long ago. It's fairly easy IF you make small cuts at a time. One place you'll have to trim is the overlap of the front carpet over the rear. The place that needs trimming is at door sill. The overlap is too thick for the sill to lay down properly.
Just a little trimming is all it takes. It'll be obvious.
Another area is at the kick panels. The carpet runs too far up behind the panel and causes it to bulge.
Take care here. I nearly cut mine too short at the floor. Lastly, don't forget to cut your holes for the front outboard seat belts before you install your door sills.  I forgot. It's actually pretty easy.. good luck.

Lfino

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 05:28:16 PM »
Dave. Probably should have included this photo.
If you zoom in you'll see where I had to trim at the sill.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 04:19:16 PM »
I did it with the 4-speed shifter in-place... the rubber boot goes under the carpet.

Center working out, push into all the corners multiple times, slow and steady.

Are you putting in new underlayment too.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:21:35 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Lfino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 04:32:45 PM »
I used ACC mat back carpeting. It laid right down into place and was even better after a couple weeks. Also used a Dynamat type sound deadening product.

Lfino

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 04:38:14 PM »
Oops! Mass back carpeting. 
Had dynamat on my mind while typing

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 06:02:09 PM »
Hello everyone.
Lfino thanks for the pictures and info you to jd. The acc carpet I brought has the underpayment already attached and is pretty think so I believe that is the mass backed more expensive carpet from acc however not sure if it matters or not but I have already installed a similar underlayment like dynamat not sure if that would create any problems.
Lfino I noticed in your pictures your cars a manual but you installed the carpet with no shifter in place or shifter bezel does that matter? You appear to have got a great fitting carpet without. In my case the cars a automatic however the transmission,shift lever,bezel are currently out of the car I did however run the wires down the transmission tunnel already ( side light feed and ground)to the shifter light ready for when the shifter assembly goes in plus also the carpet goes over the top of the wiring so naturally the wires have to be down before hand.
Thanks everyone for the help and advice.
Dave

sammy73

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 01:00:55 AM »
I used an old soldering gun instead of a knife to punch the holes (as seen in an autorestomod video on YT). Worked really well at making a hole and melting the surrounding fibres so they wouldn't run.