Author Topic: GT-350 Valve Covers  (Read 2783 times)

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
GT-350 Valve Covers
« on: April 11, 2021, 12:48:44 PM »
Is there any reason why these won't stay snugged down ?

I am using all cork gaskets, but it seems that every second time I take her out I have to snug them down again.

'67s don't used lock washers, or am I wrong and this is my problem ?

Thanks in advance,

BG
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

roddster

• View Profile
Re: GT-350 Valve Covers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 08:24:22 PM »
  There is a flat washer, then a split lock washer, then the bolt.  AMK has then as kits.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 10:06:54 PM »
The problem exists regardless of if using lock washers or the models /years that do not.They take a few times of after heat cycles snugging down before they fully compress. The same thing can be said of BB valve covers too.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:09:27 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 10:24:24 PM »
Thanks guys.... so '67 does use a lock washer with the bolt and flat washer ?
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 10:34:57 PM »
Thanks guys.... so '67 does use a lock washer with the bolt and flat washer ?
65/66 flat washer ,lock washer, bolt- yes . 67-70 not typically according to vintage photos now available showing only flat washer and bolt.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 08:11:21 AM »
Bob,

Thank You.... that's kinda what I thought.

BG
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 12:15:02 PM »
   Yeah, but: the Branda assembly manual clearly shows the assembly as flat/lock washer/bolt

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 01:39:39 PM »
   A slight imbalance in the engine ( usually not detectable) will cause valve cover bolts to loosen/ I had one drag race Boss 302 that would loosen valve cover bolts every 1/4 mile pass. Eventually the crank developed a crack on #1 rod throw , or maybe it was there all the time.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 02:42:56 PM »
Did you spray an adhesive to the valve cover so it stays with it, just one less piece to make the transition simpler.
 Mine have never leaked from day one. The thing with a lock washer too is you might feel more proned to tighten more to get that washer to compress flat resulting in over tightening the valve cover. I don’t think I used them, an alternative would be a flat star washer if your still having issues with bolts backing off.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 03:30:01 PM »
   Yeah, but: the Branda assembly manual clearly shows the assembly as flat/lock washer/bolt
The illustration drawings you reference are generally a good reference. They are somewhat primitive drawings. I am reluctant to call them engineering drawings because in some cases they are not very accurate compared to for example assemblyline manual drawings or the shop manual illustrations. The artwork isn't always the most clear or accurate on every occasion. In the illustration that you reference it looks like the sequence you describe.  I like you agreed with that sequence for a number of years. I have another from the same series of illustrations that just as clearly shows only the flat washer and bolt. Vintage photos have come to light that are backed up by first hand survivor car observations that corroborate a deviation from the illustration you reference and support the one I posted .This additional information helps tell the story of what really was typical and what happened in the real world .

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 05:50:49 PM »
Did you spray an adhesive to the valve cover so it stays with it, just one less piece to make the transition simpler.
 Mine have never leaked from day one. The thing with a lock washer too is you might feel more proned to tighten more to get that washer to compress flat resulting in over tightening the valve cover. I don’t think I used them, an alternative would be a flat star washer if your still having issues with bolts backing off.
e
I've always glued them to the valve cover (the spray stuff is too messy - use the brush on). Then wheel bearing grease on the surface where they contact the head so it doesn't stick. I've been to remove/replace them many times to adj the valves with no leaks.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 08:52:31 AM »
Thanks guys.... I am going to stick with just a flat washer as originally thought correct for '67.

If I have to keep checking them..... so be it.

Thanks all.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 11:37:12 AM »
  And now I'm wondering what the Ford parts manual shows.  I don't have one of those.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 11:50:44 AM »
  And now I'm wondering what the Ford parts manual shows.  I don't have one of those.
If you find something let us know because I have not ever found anything in the Ford parts manual showing hardware for a Cobra valve cover of any year let alone 67. I have only found sheet metal valve cover illustrations.