News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Anybody make a perfect repro FE Head bolt?

Started by 2112, April 11, 2021, 10:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Or is used as good as I can hope for?

I did check AMK and Dead Nuts but not seeing anything.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on April 11, 2021, 10:38:26 PM
Or is used as good as I can hope for?
If you are refering to one with the same mfg markings as original then I haven't heard of a repro and used is the best you can hope for.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob, other than visually examining for damage, is there any way to tell you have a bad bolt?

I have the same question for exhaust manifold bolts.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on April 11, 2021, 10:42:51 PM
Bob, other than visually examining for damage, is there any way to tell you have a bad bolt?

AMK had some ramp loc bolts from the OEM that matched spot on but that was some years back. I don't know if they are the same batch or not. I would ask our friend Randy G. about the head bolt integrity/stretching signs .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

I've never seen a failed / stretched head bolt but assume it could be possible. This is a C6 front pump bolt that is failed and was tossed due to appearance.

Head bolts generally won't be an issue if you simply inspect them carefully before re - use. Bead blast the heads to remove old paint and corrosion. Then soak them in Evaporust overnight.

Quote from: 2112 on April 11, 2021, 10:42:51 PM

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock