Author Topic: 1968 VIN and apron rivets.  (Read 1353 times)

Peter L.

• View Profile
1968 VIN and apron rivets.
« on: April 12, 2021, 11:37:28 AM »
  Time to put the dash VIN plate and fender apron plate back on my July built KR ( they were already removed when I got the car ).
 I've checked in the search feature to determine the correct rivets for each. Having a little trouble. Some posters say to use a plain generic aluminum pop rivet, and others say to use a 'rosette' type rivet. Not sure which is correct. Would really appreciate any input.
   Thanks, Pete.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
Re: 1968 VIN and apron rivets.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 11:58:22 AM »
I would find someone who had a car with similar build date and original stuff. Then copy that. Lots of internet experts can't compete with real original stuff.

My own documentation shows scores of Dearborn 1968 cars that have screws securing the VIN plates to the dash but it seems like San Jose more likely used rivets that year.

Time to put the dash VIN plate and fender apron plate back on my July built KR ( they were already removed when I got the car ).
 I've checked in the search feature to determine the correct rivets for each. Having a little trouble. Some posters say to use a plain generic aluminum pop rivet, and others say to use a 'rosette' type rivet. Not sure which is correct. Would really appreciate any input.
   Thanks, Pete.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Peter L.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 12:41:17 PM »
  My car is a New Jersey built car.  8T02R......
KR 4052

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 01:00:02 PM »
   Thanks, Pete.
Plain generic aluminum pop rivet is typical for 68 Shelby.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Peter L.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 01:26:01 PM »
 Thanks again Bob!
KR 4052