Author Topic: Door latch question  (Read 1234 times)

hertz350

• 509-953-8400
    • View Profile
Door latch question
« on: April 16, 2021, 04:13:59 PM »
I am using NOS door latches on a '66 Hertz car. These new in-the-Ford boxes have a Cosmoline coating.

Was this coating on the assembly line latches. If so, did it leave Shelby that way?

Thanks.
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Door latch question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:25:53 PM »
I am using NOS door latches on a '66 Hertz car. These new in-the-Ford boxes have a Cosmoline coating.

Was this coating on the assembly line latches. If so, did it leave Shelby that way?

Thanks.
You don't see signs of dark cosmoline on the outside of assemblyline latches . The service parts got a heavy dose all over however . If protectrant was used on the assemblyline latches it was minimal and not noticeable when you opened the door . FYI the cosmoline will turn dark with age. I would suggest taking it off with some lacquer thinner if you want it to look like assemblyline.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 09:03:04 PM »
I have seen some pretty dirty/nasty original door latches, so I suspect at least some of them had a cosmoline coating, to some degree.  There is almost always thick cosmoline on the backside of original latches.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 11:28:08 PM »
I have seen some pretty dirty/nasty original door latches, so I suspect at least some of them had a cosmoline coating, to some degree.  There is almost always thick cosmoline on the backside of original latches.
I agree but my point is that you typically don't find the heavy dark cosmoline on the portion that you see when the door is open so at the very least it was minimally used or wiped off on that portion seen when the door is opened.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

hertz350

• 509-953-8400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 01:23:25 AM »
Thanks, guys.
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz