News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ram Air on GT 500

Started by 1968, April 19, 2021, 06:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

I finally found the Shelby accessories ad for the ram air. The couple I have seen and had did not come with a scoop but maybe that part was taken out for some reason.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Thanks for digging that out.

If you look at the picture I posted with the Cleveland in my '68, that's exactly what you see with the single 4v set up.

I had that mated to a modified KR ducting. That you can see in the picture of the underside of my 68 hood.

I'm using the same modified KR ducting now but with the 347, it mates differently and only required a flat plate plus the seal to mate it.

The original poster asked about essentially how to use a kit like that with a 67 Shelby hood.

By my calculations, if it is to seal to the bottom of that hood it would require a plate 32" wide. There isn't anyway that the "kit base plate" is that wide.

The "base pan" that I had (no longer), which I presume is the one from the kit, was from Maier, curves from front to rear to follow the contour of the hood. I don't remember who I spoke to about this, but it is "believed" to be a copy of the 67 427 Fairlane unit.

It could be used with a 67 hood, but the simplest thing to do would be to mount a plate to the bottom of the hood and cut an oval hole in it to match the air cleaner.

That's the best I can come up with.

Again, thanks for digging that one out. By your description I thought it was a different unit.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bigblock

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 25, 2021, 03:41:23 PM
I finally found the Shelby accessories ad for the ram air.
Bob, Do you know if the hood scoop was a one off for this or was it used on any other Ford?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 25, 2021, 08:20:55 PM

If you look at the picture I posted with the Cleveland in my '68, that's exactly what you see with the single 4v set up.

I had that mated to a modified KR ducting. That you can see in the picture of the underside of my 68 hood.

I'm using the same modified KR ducting now but with the 347, it mates differently and only required a flat plate plus the seal to mate it.

The original poster asked about essentially how to use a kit like that with a 67 Shelby hood.

By my calculations, if it is to seal to the bottom of that hood it would require a plate 32" wide. There isn't anyway that the "kit base plate" is that wide.

The "base pan" that I had (no longer), which I presume is the one from the kit, was from Maier, curves from front to rear to follow the contour of the hood. I don't remember who I spoke to about this, but it is "believed" to be a copy of the 67 427 Fairlane unit.

It could be used with a 67 hood, but the simplest thing to do would be to mount a plate to the bottom of the hood and cut an oval hole in it to match the air cleaner.

Again, thanks for digging that one out. By your description I thought it was a different unit.
When used on a 67 Shelby hood the rubber seal conformed to the contours of the bottom side of the hood so there was no need for any modification.  I don't remember a scoop coming with ether of the kits I had so I can't be of any help identifying the one that came according to the picture..
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 26, 2021, 11:28:41 AM

When used on a 67 Shelby hood the rubber seal conformed to the contours of the bottom side of the hood so there was no need for any modification.  I don't remember a scoop coming with ether of the kits I had so I can't be of any help identifying the one that came according to the picture..

If you say so but the hood scoop opening is much wider then the base pan is so if it worked, only a portion of the scoop opening was used by my calculation?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 26, 2021, 12:17:22 PM

If you say so but the hood scoop opening is much wider then the base pan is so if it worked, only a portion of the scoop opening was used by my calculation?
Yes only a portion of the scoop opening was used and not a absolute perfect seal ether but better that then then some oddball mod on a stock 67 hood.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 26, 2021, 01:02:00 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on April 26, 2021, 12:17:22 PM

Yes only a portion of the scoop opening was used and not a absolute perfect seal ether but better that then then some oddball mod on a stock 67 hood.

No, that's not weird.  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!