News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

KR intake manifold

Started by Jack4159, April 13, 2021, 11:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

The original intake manifold on my car is long gone and it currently has an Edelbrook streetmaster on it. Motor is currently out and undergoing a full rebuild, the engine guy wants to put an Edelbrook Victor on it, which is about 1.5" higher than the streetmaster. I'm not sure how either compare to the height of the original cast iron intake.
Does anyone know if the Victor will fit under the KR hood?
To explain ....The car is being rebuilt as a driver not for concours, engine is not original in fact is a 1963 top oiler 427 so the good side of that means I can have some fun....taking the opportunity to stroke to about 480ci, (bore was standard prior to this rebuild), trickflow heads going on, hooker headers and so on.
I know it would make more sense to source a correct date coded 428 and put the money into that but that search might take years and I want to drive my car now. Also, I believe the 427 has been in the car since 1970 so it's quite at home there, that said I do hope to at some stage source a May/June dated 428.Meantime the 427 at 550/600hp will make me smile.   
Thanks in advance.

gt350bp

I used a Edelbrock Performer RPM on my 482 in my KR and it limited me to a maximum 1/4" thick phenolic carb spacer when using the original KR air chamber. I would guess that a Victor Series intake would be significantly higher than the Performer RPM, so it would depend on if you want to run the air chamber or not. I got 639 hp and 616 lb/ft torque with the Performer RPM.

If I was doing the engine again, I think I would use an aluminum PI intake or a Blue Thunder intake that would use the original PCV setup so it would look more original when painted blue.

Don
gt350bp

68stangcjfb

The Streetmaster is a great intake to about 550 horsepower with proper mods. It just about matches the Edelbrock Performer RPM everywhere in the RPM range.Get Jay Brown's book The Great FE intake Comparo. He tested almost 40 intake manifolds. You will be amazed what works and what doesn't. I think that book is also why you can't find a Streetmaster anymore on eBay for under $350!
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Jack4159

Thanks fellas,
That feedback really helped.
In the end we have decided to go with the Victor and leave the original air cleaner setup off, so I lose the ram air but figure we will come out in front with the victor.