Author Topic: 69-70 inner Fender splash shields  (Read 3185 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
69-70 inner Fender splash shields
« on: April 14, 2021, 09:11:12 PM »
Does anyone have a passenger side rear inner fender splash shield they can part with or know of a good reproduction?
My front ones and drivers side rear are perfect but the other is toast.

corbins

• View Profile
Re: 69-70 inner Fender splash shields
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 09:06:03 PM »
I'm looking also...they must be unique due to the fiberglass fenders ??

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 10:25:19 PM »
U wanting the black plastic shields?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 10:48:22 PM »
I'm looking also...they must be unique due to the fiberglass fenders ??
The plastic ones are regular Mustang parts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 10:57:32 PM »
All except boss 429s are unique cutouts.

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 06:16:47 PM »
All except boss 429s are unique cutouts.
So Ed, a 69 Shelby took the regular 69 Mustang frt and rear fender splash shields ?  Curious

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 07:30:37 PM »
yes

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 08:12:04 PM »
So Ed, a 69 Shelby took the regular 69 Mustang frt and rear fender splash shields ?  Curious

To illustrate, for the fronts, they used a section (not removed from real fenders just extra panels made)  from the Mustang fenders that was attached to the inner fender panels and then to the fender. From those small panels they hung/attached the front splash shields

« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:13:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 10:54:35 PM »
Thanks everybody, now who has the best most accurate reproductions?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 11:57:17 PM »
Thanks everybody, now who has the best most accurate reproductions?
I don't know the quality of the repro splash shields but there is typically a compromise with the vast majority . Sometimes a little and other times a lot.  I don't know why you would settle for a repro given so many original genuine are out there. Remember they were used on every 69 regular Mustang so there are a lot of donor cars out there for them to potentially come from .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 12:54:03 AM »
As a note in hunting for nice used ones I would suggest that you try to find ones covered with as much factory sound deadener still applied to them. With a little flexing most of the coating will lift, crack  and/or  fall off with ease showing a really nice original finish protected from the elements and impact over the decades

Agree with Bob about using originals,  unless you just want to build your card from your wallet or credit card account (a catalog car) and not get your hands dirty. 

Good luck with your choices
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 04:15:24 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 05:17:42 PM »
I’m not trying to build a “Catalog Car”  I saw that some of the reproductions out there say for Mustangs but not Shelby so I erroneously thought they were different, my other 3 splash shields are in one piece but the passenger rear is brittle and breaking apart so I figured there was a good likelihood of most old ones being that way as well. Do 69 Cougars use the same shields? Since the original post I’ve looked on eBay and have found some used ones. Also, how much sound deadening would you suggest putting on? And would you spray the shield and put it on or put it on and get overspray in the fender well?
Thanks for the help.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 05:37:02 PM »
I’m not trying to build a “Catalog Car”  I saw that some of the reproductions out there say for Mustangs but not Shelby so I erroneously thought they were different, my other 3 splash shields are in one piece but the passenger rear is brittle and breaking apart so I figured there was a good likelihood of most old ones being that way as well.

Maybe its were you've been looking or the part of the country your finding them in. Typically our local ones are not cracked or torn unless someone was heavy handed (for got a screw) when detaching it or the car was in an impact. In allot of areas they have been seen as parts with little value in the pass so they were not saved and just tossed by many

Do 69 Cougars use the same shields?

No believe they are shaped differently for different fenders. You want ones with the big "Z" molded in the surface

Since the original post I’ve looked on eBay and have found some used ones. Also, how much sound deadening would you suggest putting on? And would you spray the shield and put it on or put it on and get overspray in the fender well?
Thanks for the help.

No sound deadener was applied to the front wheel wells of the Shelbys in 69 at the factory. Was referring to the deadener applied on Mustang cars
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 06:22:09 PM by J_Speegle »

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 10:24:04 PM »
Thanks Jeff, helpful information as per usual. So no spray on deader,  if I clean them up as much as possible they’re still going to look old and used...is there anything you would do to make them more presentable? Paint or anything?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 10:28:34 PM »
Thanks Jeff, helpful information as per usual. So no spray on deader,  if I clean them up as much as possible they’re still going to look old and used...is there anything you would do to make them more presentable? Paint or anything?
Of course it is always better to start out with examples that don't need a lot of attention .  Some people paint faded shields with the black trim paint to freshen them up. If you do that then you can do body work prior to painting to take care of scratch's or other damage.