News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1971 Shelby Concept / 1964 1/2 Mustang Concept

Started by Richstang, April 20, 2021, 02:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

Last year Ford finally released images of the 'final eight' '64 ½ Mustang design concepts. (Thanks to the new Archivist - Ted Ryan?) These were taken at the 'Special Falcon' internal design competition on August 16th 1962. Each design had eight photo views shown at every angle. Attached is one of those designs, now with all eight views just released. It's a nice looking attempt, but I can't see a Shelby coming out of there. Even if we imagine this one as a fastback, it's a no go for me, as a Shelby. I'm sure glad Lee Iacocca and the other Ford executives went with the Joe Oros teams' Gale Halderman design.

The point I'm trying to get at is;
I posted this 1971 Shelby Concept, right side design (S-3191-24), found in 'Consumers Guide' many years ago, (followed by the left side a year or two later (S-13191-19). This design has six other angle views we haven't seen. (Please take a look in your libraries for any 'Consumers Guide' magazine or book, as you never know what's hiding in the each publisment.)

Since these two photos are date coded as -19 and -24, there could be two other design concepts we don't see  (photos -1 thru -8 and photos - 9 thru -16. Photos -17 thru -24 are the design we see in these two photos). As usual I have questions, Here's a couple of them;
     How does the back end look?
     What were the other alternatives?

The photo views of this first design concept are identified below (in blue ink, are the missing images and angles by date code)
1971 Shelby Concept 10-14-68
        S-13191-17 front              (need photo)
        S-13191-18 left front ¾     (need photo)      
        S-13191-19 left side
        S-13191-20 left rear ¾     (need photo)
        S-13191-21 back              (need photo)
        S-13191-22 right rear ¾   (need photo)
        S-13191-23 right side       (need photo)   
        S-13191-24 right front ¾

Wouldn't it be awesome if someone could get in those Ford Archives or convince them to pull out any Shelby related design images? Anyone know somebody who can help?

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

shelbydoug

It isn't a bad looking car. It does seem to be a little large though. Kinda wondering in design to the big T-bird designs of the mid '60s?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 20, 2021, 02:56:12 PM
It isn't a bad looking car. It does seem to be a little large though. Kinda wondering in design to the big T-bird designs of the mid '60s?

Yea, the 'Stiletto' concept was one of the better original Mustang design options.
They tried to make it appear as a Baby T-Bird. This was their last attempt as they tried a few other versions of it back in 1961.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar