Author Topic: taillight wiring connections- help needed  (Read 1253 times)

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
taillight wiring connections- help needed
« on: April 19, 2021, 05:16:35 PM »
I am trying to hook up my new taillight wire assembly and new pigtail kit for the bulbs.  The right and left tail harness have a black post wire, a black flag end wire and the green/red or red/white wires.  Seems like to many wires coming out of the harness for the simple black and red ones available on the pigtail extensions.  Can someone tell me if they are all used and what wires should be connected with what? Thanks.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: taillight wiring connections- help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 10:51:11 PM »
Do you have your originals to reference?

Wiring diagram in the back of your '67 Ford Mustang shop manual will help to sort all back there Mustang related.

OK, I'll try this, there are the two pig tails for the back-up lights, should have molded two-wire male/female ends.

There should be a single male end for the license plate light.

A tail light ground wire that will ground/attach on the right side (passenger) of the fuel filler neck/center sheet metal with star washer (cut the paint) and self-tapping metal screw, see attached image.

A two wire set black and green - left side feed to (Mustang) tail light and another longer set has to run across the very rear of the car and held up by the metal tabs up under the rear lip, black and a orang-ish right side feed to (Mustang) tail lights.  Seems yours maybe green/red stripe and black and red-ish.

The tail light left and right pairs connect to your two tail light 3-socket pig tails with the off-white scotch-lok connectors.

Also, there were 3 versions of how the 3-socket pig tails were handled; loose wires = early, wrapped with black tape or inside black tubing/sheathing.  Typically if the second or third version it would match what was done for the amp wire gauge wires in the engine compartment.

Will add some images that may help, have to locate them...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:22:00 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 11:21:20 AM »
Thanks for the breakdown- can't beat the pictures you come up with. As shown in my pictures my reproduction pigtails have black and green wires to the sockets but connect to the harness with a black and red wire. In the end it sounds like I need to connect my harness wires (left green and right side redish) to the red wire coming out of my new pigtail wires shown and connect the two black harness wires on each side of the car (the one post and one that looks like a flag at the end) together and then to the black wire coming off the pigtail.  I think that's what I'm hearing, if I'm not understanding that correctly let me know.   Did I mention that I hate wiring?  :(      I honestly think that without this site I would have given up on many of my projects over the years- thanks to all.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »
Do you have your original wiring to help guide you???

See attached from Ford Service/Shop Manual - note ends shown will help guide as to where they go.  Sort/locate where the majority go (back-up, license plate etc.) and then deal with the ones left.  Also, not sure how much of the harness you bought or who made it but there is the fuel sender and trunk light (not used on Shelby's) that may also be in the harness your dealing with, but not shown in this diagram, identify those and move out of the way so to speak.

There are multiple grounds (most black) that need go and attach multiple places, just joining them together in one place won't work to well.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:16:51 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0