News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Separating quick steering arm from center link question

Started by SFM5S000, April 21, 2021, 08:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1109RWHP

I took mine apart on the car with limited room so I made this. Uses a 9/16 bolt.

Bob Gaines

I just got done separating a spindle from the tie rod end and the upper and lower ball joints. It was very easy given the tools. The tool to pop the tie rod or pitman loose is self explanatory. It allows the boot or seal to stay intact. When using the tool to separate the ball joints you pop off one at a time . And they do pop when they come loose. You take the nut off the one side to pop loose and leaving the nut with just a couple threads above the nut showing on the other ball joint . The long hex portion has a small recess to couple with the few threads sticking up above the top of the nut.  That way the one without a nut has the room to give and move while the one that has the nut left partially on is fixed . The bearing side is what you turn to tighten and pop the ball joint loose. The long hex stock is there to put a wrench on to hold that portion stationary. The spreading action of the tool pushes against one to pop the other loose. You reverse the procedure to get the other ball joint loose. No damage to the boot threads or need to mar the spindle. It couldn't be much easier. I bought the ball joint tool many years ago and can't remember where I got it. However if you can't find something similar it is a pretty simple design so it could made relatively easily.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67350#1242

Speedway Motors has a similar tool to the one you are using between the spindle ball joints.  This looks like a good way to go when removing the larger upper and lower ball joints.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wehrs-Machine-WM130-S-Ball-Joint-Remover-Speedway-Spindle,423373.html
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Royce Peterson

I have one of those. Have not used it since getting the HF tool. You need one Bob, perfect for that job. If there's a video showing a hammer it's not helpful since no hammer is needed. I use mine with an electric 1/2 drive impact.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 21, 2021, 11:59:02 PM
I just got done separating a spindle from the tie rod end and the upper and lower ball joints. It was very easy given the tools. The tool to pop the tie rod or pitman loose is self explanatory. It allows the boot or seal to stay intact. When using the tool to separate the ball joints you pop off one at a time . And they do pop when they come loose. You take the nut off the one side to pop loose and leaving the nut with just a couple threads above the nut showing on the other ball joint . The long hex portion has a small recess to couple with the few threads sticking up above the top of the nut.  That way the one without a nut has the room to give and move while the one that has the nut left partially on is fixed . The bearing side is what you turn to tighten and pop the ball joint loose. The long hex stock is there to put a wrench on to hold that portion stationary. The spreading action of the tool pushes against one to pop the other loose. You reverse the procedure to get the other ball joint loose. No damage to the boot threads or need to mar the spindle. It couldn't be much easier. I bought the ball joint tool many years ago and can't remember where I got it. However if you can't find something similar it is a pretty simple design so it could made relatively easily.   
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock