News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

bogus original double hump hipo lid on Ebay by one of the usual suspects

Started by Bob Gaines, April 22, 2021, 12:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Original lids have indexing dimples for the wing nut. Repros do not. This guy Andrew knows better. magmustangs is well known to have deceptive descriptions in his ebay ads. Repro base lid and filter sell for 80.00 .  Karma will catch up with him hopefully .  https://www.ebay.com/itm/154423815045
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

Thats why I never bought from him there is always a little "something"

@Bob maybe it will help when you always post the correct part as a picture so everybody can learn and see the difference better, thank you.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Andrew@MagMustangs

Dimples are there. Just not as visible with the new chrome filling some of that space.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Andrew@MagMustangs on April 22, 2021, 09:14:21 AM
Dimples are there. Just not as visible with the new chrome filling some of that space.
Andrew chrome doesn't fill in scratches let alone dimples. Maybe your pictures need to be better but chrome does not fill in anything especially those deep dimples. Google how thick chrome is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_plating
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Kent on April 22, 2021, 03:29:44 AM

@Bob maybe it will help when you always post the correct part as a picture so everybody can learn and see the difference better, thank you.
Here is a example of what the indexing dimples for the wing nut look like on a original.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Royce Peterson

There are some sort of dimples on the one in the eBay auction but they appear to be an attempt to add something not original style at all. And there are more differences if you compare Bob's picture to the one on eBay and the repro in Bob's link.

Obvious repro on eBay.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 22, 2021, 10:37:54 AM

Here is a example of what the indexing dimples for the wing nut look like on a original.
pretty much the same as on the ram air air cleaner lids for 69 Cj cars(Shelby and shaker cars) ? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

A-Snake

Here is another vendor selling a reproduction. It shows dimples but that is not the only identifier of an original lid.

https://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/c4dz-9600-c

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on April 22, 2021, 11:01:00 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 22, 2021, 10:37:54 AM

pretty much the same as on the ram air air cleaner lids for 69 Cj cars(Shelby and shaker cars) ? Gary
The double hump is a different early design of Hipo lid but the the later Hipo which is the same design as the painted ram air lid has dimples also.

Rodster-500

There was a great thread on Forum 1.0 about the details of originals and many pictures.  Sadly it's gone.  As I recall the contours of the reproductions do not match the originals either.

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

Not jumping in on the debate of this part but sometimes platers use multiple layers of the copper base (sanded and polished between layers) to fill and hide scratches and rust pits. This method could fill the small detents for the wingnut.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 22, 2021, 02:35:09 PM
Not jumping in on the debate of this part but sometimes platers use multiple layers of the copper base (sanded and polished between layers) to fill and hide scratches and rust pits. This method could fill the small detents for the wingnut.
I agree on some platers techniques but you apparently are not aware of how deep the dimples are on a original lid if you implying that they could be covered by random heavy plating. It is hard enough for platers to cover rust pitting in the lids when they are trying to let alone the deep index dimples that there would be no reason to try to cover. I find it difficult to swallow that the chrome plater could typically cover that up without initial body work to the dimple metal first. Of course that begs the question why would you try to cover it up in the first place?

A-Snake

These photos show an original air cleaner top that displays the round clamp marks. They appear around the 'middle hump'. The top photo shows one of the clamp marks where the chrome is worn away on its edge. These are sometimes removed when an air cleaner has been re-chromed. Evidence of these confirms an original lid.