News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1969 Shelby Convertible Trunk Sheet Metal

Started by tgilliam, April 29, 2021, 10:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgilliam

I am starting to do some work on my 1969 Shelby convertible and would like to see some pictures of the sheet metal in the trunk area in front of the gas tank opening (toward the front of the car). My car has some holes that I think are not original. Would like to make sure before eliminating them.
Thanks for any help (pictures) you can provide.

Tom Gilliam
tom.gilliam@logan-aluminum

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tgilliam on April 29, 2021, 10:13:14 PM
I am starting to do some work on my 1969 Shelby convertible and would like to see some pictures of the sheet metal in the trunk area in front of the gas tank opening (toward the front of the car). My car has some holes that I think are not original. Would like to make sure before eliminating them.

Tom Gilliam
It sounds like holes used for a trailer hitch behind the gas tank in the floor.It was relatively common to do back in the day.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

corbins

Tom, Bob is probably correct but it would be helpful if you posted a couple of pics of your car's holes. Circle the ones in question.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: tgilliam on April 29, 2021, 10:13:14 PM

Tom Gilliam
Does this help? https://www.flickr.com/photos/shelbymann1970/50678051788/in/dateposted-public/
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

tgilliam

Gary,
That photo is exactly what I need - any chance you have another close-up of the area?
I think there is a good chance Bob G. is right - there has been a trailer hitch on car. I will try to get a picture posted soon.
Right in the middle, in front of the gas tank opening there appears to be a stamping detail (in the original metal). The picture Gary B. provided shows what looks like two ridges right in the center area. My car has a sizable hole right in between the ridges.
Thanks very much for your comments and picture. I would like to see additional pictures if anyone has some more.
Thank You.

Tom Gilliam
tom.gilliam@logan-aluminum.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: tgilliam on April 30, 2021, 06:47:59 PM
Gary,
That photo is exactly what I need - any chance you have another close-up of the area?
I think there is a good chance Bob G. is right - there has been a trailer hitch on car. I will try to get a picture posted soon.
Right in the middle, in front of the gas tank opening there appears to be a stamping detail (in the original metal). The picture Gary B. provided shows what looks like two ridges right in the center area. My car has a sizable hole right in between the ridges.
Thanks very much for your comments and picture. I would like to see additional pictures if anyone has some more.
Thank You.

Tom Gilliam
tom.gilliam@logan-aluminum.com
I can take one for you if you like. I need to pull stuff out of the trunk. I got a rear end shot but it isn't scanned of the rolling shell taken back in 2000. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

J_Speegle

Not sure what detail your looking for but here are a couple of shots of the forward floor section

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

My original trunk underlayment is stuck in part of the area so no good pics like Jeffs.  Here is a rear shot I took back around 2000.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990