News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Chassis black paint color

Started by mcs68, April 29, 2021, 10:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcs68

Good evening folks, can someone please tell me what color black Ford used in its engine compartments in 1968?

I have tired Eastwood's chassis black which is close but not quite right.

I appreciate, Mitch

Corey Bowcutt

I can not tell you exactly what Ford used in the day, but I just repainted my engine compartment and I was told by a very reputable source to use "Hot Rod Black".  It is a 2 part paint plus reducer.  You buy this as a kit right off Amazon.  Mine turned out looking extremely nice.

Royce Peterson

I use PPG DP90LF. It is very resistant to brake fluid and other chemicals and looks really close to the original black.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on April 30, 2021, 08:01:46 AM
I can not tell you exactly what Ford used in the day, but I just repainted my engine compartment and I was told by a very reputable source to use "Hot Rod Black".  It is a 2 part paint plus reducer.  You buy this as a kit right off Amazon.  Mine turned out looking extremely nice.

I am using this. I like the results.

I would qualify this by saying that in the case of -01107, the firewall was originally a gloss black and didn't match the rest of the engine bay.

It still is as received. That will be the last thing to get repainted.

I don't know if this will add or detract from your Shelby paranoia?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 30, 2021, 09:42:12 AM
Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on April 30, 2021, 08:01:46 AM

I am using this. I like the results.

I would qualify this by saying that in the case of -01107, the firewall was originally a gloss black and didn't match the rest of the engine bay.

It still is as received. That will be the last thing to get repainted.

I don't know if this will add or detract from your Shelby paranoia?
The level of gloss in the engine compartment and firewall forward can vary because of different batches, humidity,different workers applying etc. Of course the description of gloss can be different from one person to another . All of the Mustang /Shelby firewalls were given a liberal application of sound deadener /sealer to everything attached or protruding through the firewall by assemblyline practice. The deadener/sealer is typically a duller black/dark brown so a given firewall will not typically be completely one consistent gloss level gloss black or otherwise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mcs68

As always gentlemen I appreciate your input.
I did try a test panel yesterday with Nason chassis black and it's a little to deep black.
I will give the Sem and ppg products a try.

Thank you, Mitch