Author Topic: wiring help  (Read 1733 times)

corbins

• View Profile
wiring help
« on: May 02, 2021, 06:56:25 PM »
Ok... I think I f-ed up. Replacing the turn signal switch, tilt 68, and I guess I misplaced a wire. No parking lights, turn signals ...unless the emergency flasher switch is pulled out. This is a new NOS switch.
Anyone have the schematic for the plug, or a drawing , with wire colors and positions ?
Thanks !!

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
Re: wiring help
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 11:41:05 AM »
Here you go.

Ok... I think I f-ed up. Replacing the turn signal switch, tilt 68, and I guess I misplaced a wire. No parking lights, turn signals ...unless the emergency flasher switch is pulled out. This is a new NOS switch.
Anyone have the schematic for the plug, or a drawing , with wire colors and positions ?
Thanks !!
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 11:47:35 AM »
Downsized to show only the part that you need.

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 02:28:11 PM »
Royce, thanks a lot ! I have re-checked all of my wire placements and they are all correct according to Osborn diagram. (the one you posted) But .... coming out of my new NOS switch is a red wire that plugs into where the schematic shows a blank. And that wire was present on the old  switch as well.  But oddly enough , there is no corresponding pin on the dash harness side of the white connector and never has been.  So that red wire does not do anything and never has. I know that the brown and a yellow/black wire from the switch side were terminated and taped on the original switch .
I have checked all wire positions on both sides of the connection and all are in proper places, and intact. I also checked the switch (based on the part number on the box) to verify t was in fact for a tilt column.
Getting more confused by the day :)
And after spinal fusion surgery, my neck ain't too happy with being under the frigging dash but for so long :)

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 03:33:56 PM »
The diagram I printed is from the 1968 Comet Fairlane Mustang Cougar factory shop manual. It's an original not a reproduction.

Maybe you have a different problem if it is wired correctly.

Royce, thanks a lot ! I have re-checked all of my wire placements and they are all correct according to Osborn diagram. (the one you posted) But .... coming out of my new NOS switch is a red wire that plugs into where the schematic shows a blank. And that wire was present on the old  switch as well.  But oddly enough , there is no corresponding pin on the dash harness side of the white connector and never has been.  So that red wire does not do anything and never has. I know that the brown and a yellow/black wire from the switch side were terminated and taped on the original switch .
I have checked all wire positions on both sides of the connection and all are in proper places, and intact. I also checked the switch (based on the part number on the box) to verify t was in fact for a tilt column.
Getting more confused by the day :)
And after spinal fusion surgery, my neck ain't too happy with being under the frigging dash but for so long :)

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 09:09:20 PM »
Yep.... seems like it. And I hate electrical issues.... Just gotta keep checking stuff I guess.  Thanks for the help!

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 10:41:41 PM »
Try a different flasher unit.   

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.