Author Topic: '67 Lower Rear Brake Exterior Ducts ?  (Read 1909 times)

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
'67 Lower Rear Brake Exterior Ducts ?
« on: May 02, 2021, 08:17:41 PM »

Do they, or are they supposed to have drain holes ?   I washed my car today, and of course its always a chore getting all the water out of several places..... this just being one of them !

Thanks.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: '67 Lower Rear Brake Exterior Ducts ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 09:33:49 PM »
Never saw/found any, others may know more.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 08:14:45 AM »

It's hard to tell inside with the semi roughness of the 'glass on a black car.  I'm assuming not, and thinking its a good place to stuff a small towel into next time the hose comes out. 
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 08:45:55 PM »
You have problems with water pooling in the brake ducts?How about those upper air extractor scoops after a wash?!?!Better not have hard water AND a dark car..... :'(

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 09:12:55 AM »
In addition to the water puddling in the bottom of the scoops, the hoses themselves were notorious for rotting out within a couple of years from new.

Not enough thought was put into the longevity thing back then and unfortunately was just about pushing the cars out the door to new customers.

I do remember a comment aimed at Ferrari decades ago and the reply from Ferrari was that the cars were never intended to last for more then a few years, "go buy another or just buy a Fiat".

That was a prevalent thought of the times kind of reinforced by the 12,000 mile warranty.

Frankly, I remember '60s cars basically being "all done" by the time you got to 35,000 miles. They needed everything replaced and folks who liked to keep their cars new, would just give up and buy a new one for $3,500.

This thing about making US cars successful I remember being campaigned by Brock Yates and basically resulted in todays 100,000 mile plus manufacturers warranties.

As far as 95% of all Shelbys still being around and so coveted was NEVER conceived of even remotely back then.

Heck, even Shelby didn't want to bring the Comp Cobras back from Europe because of the expense since they were "just used up race cars".
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
Leaf blower.
Each time I washed my '67, water would of course collect in the scoops and dribble out, sometimes over the course of a day or two. So I experimented plugging in the leaf blower and running on low power to air dry the scoops and ducting. I'm sure the neighbors think I'm nutty, but the stream of air gets the water out of the scoops and solves the problem.

Using the leaf blower also works really well under the hood to dry those impossible to reach places where water pools. And it works to clear out the water that collects under the molding around the windshield and rear window. 

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 01:54:00 PM »
Low budget way is to stuff absorbent rags in them after washing.It sorta works.