Author Topic: Original 66 Gas Cap Innards  (Read 1923 times)

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
Original 66 Gas Cap Innards
« on: May 03, 2021, 07:55:27 PM »
After sitting in a box for many years, I decided to put the original gas cap for 6S1757 back on the car. But first it needed to be cleaned up...the gasket was shot, back had gunk and some corrosion, oxidation, etc. Well, pretty soon things went sideways and the cap was apart. Posting these pics in case anyone is interested in seeing what one looks like taken apart.

All-in-all turned out pretty well I think. One mistake was to pry out the rivets which chewed up the back plate a little trying to wedge them up, used some JB Weld to clean up the marks. If I did this again I would probably just use a dremel tool and grind the rivets off.

Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Original 66 Gas Cap Innards
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 08:51:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing with us Dave
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 08:59:06 PM »
Nice job rebuilding.

A couple of questions:

What size and type rivet did you use?

Did you make your own cork gaskets?

Thanks,

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 09:13:25 PM »
I thought the original seal to the filler neck was a fiber or leather material?  I think the cork one will tear easily.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 09:30:39 PM »
Yes, the original gasket is a fiber material, mine was toast, badly distorted and likely wouldn't seal worth beans. The different Mustang pasts vendors sell a rubber replacement gasket but I decided to make my own using 1/16" rubberized cork. I was also concerned it would tear but it held up better than expected. Had to stretch it a fair amount to get it over the nozzle but no problem, slipped into place easily. We'll see how it holds up, if there are any issues I'll go with one of the rubber replacements.

Rivets are drive screws, total length 0.40", shaft diameter a little over 1/8", I assume to drive into a 1/8" hole. Cobra valve covers use the same thing for the wire loom baffles, I think those are slightly larger?
Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 09:57:20 PM »
I thought the original seal to the filler neck was a fiber or leather material?  I think the cork one will tear easily.

That is what it appears he had when he started (see first picture) but guess he went with the cork on the rebuild

While on the subject.

Originals on the top. NOS/Service replacement on bottom. Upper left looks and feels like fairly thin leather

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 11:36:32 PM »
Took a closer look at the original gasket and agree it is thin leather...

Dave - 6S1757

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 12:30:51 AM »
Yes, the original gasket is a fiber material, mine was toast, badly distorted and likely wouldn't seal worth beans. The different Mustang pasts vendors sell a rubber replacement gasket but I decided to make my own using 1/16" rubberized cork. I was also concerned it would tear but it held up better than expected. Had to stretch it a fair amount to get it over the nozzle but no problem, slipped into place easily. We'll see how it holds up, if there are any issues I'll go with one of the rubber replacements.

Rivets are drive screws, total length 0.40", shaft diameter a little over 1/8", I assume to drive into a 1/8" hole. Cobra valve covers use the same thing for the wire loom baffles, I think those are slightly larger?

Thanks for the info.  Good to know.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339