Author Topic: Starter solenoid  (Read 2537 times)

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
Starter solenoid
« on: May 04, 2021, 02:18:06 AM »
HI--- after hours and hours of research I am still unable to find engine compartment photo with correct C9AF-11450-A1 starter solenoid. Should anyone have clear photo with solenoid installation visible it would be greatly appreciable . Thank U. , anyone being interested in this particular solenoid CHRIS BROWN has them in stock. Thank U   
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 02:19:43 AM by johnzajc@gmail.com »

KShane

• View Profile
Re: Starter solenoid
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 09:06:18 AM »
Let me know if you need a different angle
Shane

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 09:32:07 AM »
Autolite c9af flat starter solenoid mounts in same 2 holes as both earlier c7af solenoids flat and hang on type. The flat type c9af replaced the flat type c7af in spring of 69 and the early 69 cars built in 68 still used the 68 type hang on regular type autolite solenoids, The new design flat type c7af solenoids were first made late  november 68 date is oldest i have found and some may have been installed on late december 68 cars but i see them showing up on cars built in january 69 . These flat type solenoids arenot heavy duty type like some people call them  just a different vendor like anco vs trico wiper blades ford used on the assembly line. The new 69 1/2 mavericks built in dearborn used the new type flat solenoids then in 70 ford went back to the regular earlier used hang on type .  The only difference i see on the flat type c7af vs flat type c9af solneoids is the mounting plate flat steel vs 4 raised ribs aluminum mounting plate since the black bakelite is same design on both flat solenoids so its just a running change.

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 11:02:12 AM »
Thanks so lot--hard to fathom how to acquire so much knowledge ules person is total jinous  ---advantage with CHRISES is also they work
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 11:05:35 AM by johnzajc@gmail.com »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 04:01:15 PM »
.................. The only difference i see on the flat type c7af vs flat type c9af solneoids is the mounting plate flat steel vs 4 raised ribs aluminum mounting plate since the black bakelite is same design on both flat solenoids so its just a running change.

Found that the raised rib mounting plate usage continued into the C9AF versions for a while as shown below. Left one is is an  Aug 69 while the right one is a Sept 69

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 10:13:30 PM »
correct jeff as i seen them mixed in must have been a mixup in inventory or something and i seen the rivets going other direction also but very rarely happened that way . I think the vendor meant to change the mounting plate when they changed the # from c7af to c9af but some got mixed in inventory or different lines where they were made had some changes or maybe 2 different plants made that part as i recently seen the flat dearborn type on a 70 NJ mach1 and i seen them on 70 torinos and some pickup trucks in old junk yards.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 10:59:04 PM »
Posted that picture over on CMF of the 69 San Jose 351 W automatic non-AC  with the flat one also. Secondary and not very often used supplier to that plant
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge