News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

15 inch verse 14 inch

Started by Doog 427, May 04, 2021, 05:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doog 427

Hi   hope everyone is well

I want to drive a 67 Gt 500 for small distance 5 miles have Kelsey Hayes front disk, usually have 15 inch rims put set 14 inch on temporarily they spin free and don't rub, clear the break caliper but it is very close, 1/2 inch clearance, anyone done this? Is this a mistake to drive this way?

TY
Steve

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Doog 427 on May 04, 2021, 05:41:48 PM
Hi   hope everyone is well

I want to drive a 67 Gt 500 for small distance 5 miles have Kelsey Hayes front disk, usually have 15 inch rims put set 14 inch on temporarily they spin free and don't rub, clear the break caliper but it is very close, 1/2 inch clearance, anyone done this? Is this a mistake to drive this way?

TY
Steve
The Magstar aluminum centers are the same diameter regardless of if 14 inch or 15 inch . The rim is what is different. The 15 inch rim necks down to meet the center. 1/2 clearance caliper to wheel  is not that close relatively speaking  . I don't know why you would want to drive on 14 inch Magstars other then temporarily because it would look weird given the smaller size. At least to me it would.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Doog 427

Hi Bob, thank you for rely, 14 inch is not a magstar, but very close, I gather should be Ok to drive with 1/2 inch clearance, the 15 inch magstar has 1 inch or more clearance? Ty Steve

J_Speegle

Ran my first 67 GT350 with over the counter 14" Magstars (was young and what I found locally as well within budget  ::) with similar clearance to what you describe with no issues.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

Check the clearance from the tire to the upper control arm. Smaller wheels and a bad offset can expose the sidewall to the UCA while under load. Most aftermarket wheels are designed with enough back spacing so this can't happen. 1/8" clearance on brake rotor is enough - that doesn't change in dia but some floating calipers can get closer to the wheel when the pads wear.

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Doog 427

Hi 98SVT thank you for reply, I did check the upper control arm under load and it has 1/8 inch clearance with rubber tire. The car may bounce up and down and cause rub while driving? How bad could this be maybe not so much?

oldcanuck

This might be a dumb question.... but this all seems like a lot of trouble to go 5 miles ?   Why not just load the GT500 onto a trailer and not worry about the trip over on 14s ......  unless it now matters what the trailer is running......  ;)
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Doog 427

Was able to work out drive with 14 inch front tires, ended up putting some 235's on back usually we have 275's, motor is 427 stroker to 488 cu inch with 594 HP and 610 Ft Lbs. well with the skinnier rear tires she really lit em up, was very surprised in 2 nd gear about 45 mph floored it and shredded the back tires, massive burn out, in third at good revs floored it and it spun em again, thank you for help, it was so much fun went for longer drive, couldn't imagine old bias ply tires back in the day