Author Topic: 65 hipo fuel pump on ebay is close but no cigar  (Read 1621 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
65 hipo fuel pump on ebay is close but no cigar
« on: May 05, 2021, 12:31:37 AM »
Seller is misinformed on the application of the auction fuelpump. The seller is well respected and I think that it is just a innocent oversight. https://www.ebay.com/itm/402824063448  . I sent a message to help clear up description issues. This is what I sent . You may want to double check your application. First off only 65 289 Hipo used a fuel pump with a built in fuel filter. 66 and 67 fuelpumps did not have a built in fuel filter. The box may have gotten mismarked or the rebuilder got the bottom section of the pump mixed up with others. The inlet diameter looks to be for 3/8 hose used with 68 on up fuelpumps.  65-67 used 5/16 inlet. If  5/16 hose is hard to fit on the inlet and the hose bulges once on then it is 3/8 . 5/16 hose should push on easily and the hose should not show a significant bulge when installed. In the picture comparison I sent the pump on the right which looks like your picture is 3/8 .Best of luck with your auction. Bob Gaines
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:36:42 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: 65 hipo fuel pump on ebay is close but no cigar
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 12:55:28 AM »
Hi Bob,

Please clarify for me.  The upper portion is marked with  CARbureTer which would be for 65-66 with that marking.  The marking CARTER would be 67 and up?  Is that correct?  The bottom part with the fittings with the 3/8 inlet is 68 and up.  The canister fuel pump, like you said, is only 65.   So it would appear the re-builder built a Frankenstein pump, mixing several  years together to create this hybrid that would not be correct on any car.  Does that sound right?  What did I miss.

Thanks

Cory

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 01:16:00 AM »
Hi Bob,

Please clarify for me.  The upper portion is marked with  CARbureTer which would be for 65-66 with that marking.  The marking CARTER would be 67 and up?  Is that correct?  The bottom part with the fittings with the 3/8 inlet is 68 and up.  The canister fuel pump, like you said, is only 65.   So it would appear the re-builder built a Frankenstein pump, mixing several  years together to create this hybrid that would not be correct on any car.  Does that sound right?  What did I miss.

Thanks

Cory
Cory, CAR bure TER  trademark was used in 67 before changing over to Carter in very late production. At least on the SJ Shelby's. Yes a Frankenstein pump that looks kinda sorta like the 65 assemblyline pump but of course it is not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

64kcode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 05:26:36 AM »
The crimp style K code 65-67 pumps should also have two pump arm return springs one under the arm and one over it, 65 is a 3939S 66-67 4201 stamping on the flange.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 08:37:47 AM »
I think that if this pump is being listed as a "Ford Rebuild", then technically the listing is correct in that the Ford rebuild listings tend to be a generic one and this pump may have been listed by the "Ford Rebuilder" as fitting all of those applications.

The argument here is that it is wrong by "Concourse, and assembly line" standards which the Ford rebuilt applications would not ever have considered seriously.

In my experiences with the "Ford Rebuilt" parts, the likeliness of you getting the exact replacement was almost non-existent UNLESS you had YOUR part rebuilt by them. I had a Ford Certified Rebuilder here that would do that for you.

Even so, the finish on it was not likely to even come close to the original new part.

I SUSPECT Bob, that if you do get a response from the seller (I wouldn't hold my breath on that) he is going to reply something to that effect essentially laughing off what you replied to him initially?

Isn't this just one of the things that makes competing in "Thoroughbred" so difficult, i.e., finding original "assembly line parts"?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:44:16 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 12:25:17 PM »
Doug ,you must not be aware that look a like hipo fuel pumps (ones that look the part on the outside at least)are out there. They are routinely used on concours restorations.  Fred Ballard routinely sells on Ebay non hipo but externally correct looking rebuilds for example . Disregarding the fact that the description includes 66 and 67 as a application which is incorrect ,If the part was a true Hipo re manufactured pump inside and outside its value would be in the 1 to 2,000.00 range. The seller routinely sells to the crowd who are looking for correct parts. How would you feel if after paying that amount in a auction you found out later it wasn't what you though it was?I don't think he means to be deceptive on purpose which is why I reached out to him . I don't want a Shelby enthusiast looking for a proper looking part bidding on it that doesn't know what they will be getting if they win. Disregarding that it is most likely not a double spring Hipo pump it will not completely look the part on the outside (typically the most important aspect) given the incorrect bottom half. If some people are good with the compromise the bulging hose visual will give and the lower market price that compromise warrants then that is OK for them. Go for it. Hopefully the seller will take my message in the helpful way it is meant . I don't want him thinking that he has one of the highly valuable fuelpumps because he doesn't. I also don't want bad feelings from the buyer if they find out it is not as described. He is thought of too highly to risk bad blood in the car enthusiast world. Helping a well thought of  seller with a correct description and the buyer to make a informed decision that is right for the individual is the intent of my post.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 01:43:58 PM »
I am not disagreeing with you just saying that the terminology sometimes is the issue and yes I agree that some sellers are hiding within the inaccuracy of the terminology.

To answer your question, yes I would be very upset to find out that I paid a lot for the wrong part.

I like that you post things like this here. The chances are the buyer, if there is one, is not a frequent visitor here but again I like that you try to do the right thing.

You also know that I have asked you for advice and or help on certain items and you have generously shared your knowledge with me. I appreciate that, but the terminology has been the major issue in the past such as the seller's term of often using the term Concourse in selling a car.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 01:55:53 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 02:32:37 PM »
This is a good example of how just having $$ does not guarantee one can restore a car correctly.  There are very few that know these more obscure details.  For a lot of folks, it doesn't mean a lot, but for those going for authenticity, it's a big investment and they want to know what they are buying is correct.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge