News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Mecum - Indianapolis 2021 - SHELBY Products 1962-1970

Started by silverton_ford, May 05, 2021, 12:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

Cars bid up, big money, cars with no "friends" went for low money.
RARE  Signature Delete

Tired Sheep

Quite a contrast from last months experts posting on how great the prices were

Rukiddin

Yes,different quality at this auction. Most I looked at were #3 ( Hagerty)condition . Missing parts,poor paint,poor sheet metal fit,etc. Driver quality=Driver price

68krrrr

I would've thought this Ford GT would've went ,for well over $1million with the light weight carbon package & only 18 miles
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

silverton_ford

Results from today.

Saturday May 22, 2021
S103.1 - 1967 GT500          02680 - https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0521-479334/1967-shelby-gt500-fastback/                        $  170,500.00 - Sold
S205 - 1968 GT500KR conv 03910 - https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0521-479052/1968-shelby-gt500kr-convertible/                  $  160,000.00 - Bid goes on
S255 - 1968 GT500KR         04383 - https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0521-462351/1968-shelby-gt500kr-fastback/                     $  150,000.00 - Bid goes on

Tired Sheep

Wow, Dana Mecum should be ashamed of himself

Did anyone see him and his cohorts dressing down customers ?

I saw one guy repeatedly call a guy bidding a quitter (the bid was over a quarter million)

Another guy was humiliated for not dropping his reserve

If this how you treat your customers, you are a jerk

FL SAAC

it's called "theater".....

Quote from: Tired Sheep on May 23, 2021, 11:05:11 AM

I saw one guy repeatedly call a guy bidding a quitter (the bid was over a quarter million)

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

sfm5

Watching Friday & Saturday afternoon, other auction house shenanigans were also on full display. Like the auctioneer stopping and looking (awkwardly) over to the side for direction before proceeding to hammer on a low bid, etc. It seems unless your car is a "main attraction" or you are a close buddy of the guy running the auction, these auction venues are no longer a very viable place to sell your car.

Bring a Trailer is increasingly looking like a better option!
65 GT350

Rukiddin

Commonly called "the second oldest profession" amongst those that are familiar with auction houses. With the increase in phone/internet bidding it becomes very difficult to police. "Invisible" bidders is a good time to look elsewhere.........

427heaven

I totally agree with you on that. The FAT - SWEATY- BESPITTLED son, you know the one that speaks with a constant spray coming from his mouth. When they see a guy with genuine enthusiasm, he seems to constantly get out bid from a phone bidder, I call BS to that on many occasions, they are experts in watching people and getting a READ on them! Sad really. :-[

67 GT350

Quote from: sfm5 on May 23, 2021, 11:23:44 AM

Watching Friday & Saturday afternoon, other auction house shenanigans were also on full display. Like the auctioneer stopping and looking (awkwardly) over to the side for direction before proceeding to hammer on a low bid, etc. It seems unless your car is a "main attraction" or you are a close buddy of the guy running the auction, these auction venues are no longer a very viable place to sell your car.

Bring a Trailer is increasingly looking like a better option!

Hence I think SAAC is the best place to sell your car, with all information is.
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbymann1970

Not everyone belongs to this SAAC forum who wants to buy a Shelby or may even know it exists. I am a fan of BaT in that if you got a bogus car or a car with serious issues in most cases after a 7 day auction the car will be vetted out. Ditto if you got a good honest car. Prospective buyers have days to read, ask questions and decide what they are willing to spend-not seconds. The buyer pays a 5 percent commission up to 5K. Seller 99 bucks unless they want professional photos or longer auction. A no-brainer in my book is to sell on BaT over the logistics alone to bring a car to auction. You have time as a buyer to have an expert go over a car for you assuming you don't find the car at the end of an auction. Some of the 6 and 7 figure sales on BaT suggest that is the place to sell. Oh, I'm sure some cars have had shill bids put on them by friends but no different than at a live auction where the auction house or a buddy could bid a car up to it's reserve. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Steve Z

We may want to start another topic in regards to Mecum ? But I took my BOSS 9 to the auction this year in Indy. I discussed the position that I would want to be in , which was Saturday Afternoon on the May 22nd. They agreed and sent the paperwork work to sign. This was 2 months before the auction. The line up comes out out and I am 9th from the end on Saturday.
      I call them and email them and say I am pulling my car from the auction. They say that there will be a fine and they are getting calls on my car and thier will be bidders there to bid on on my car. And of course there  contract has a penalty clause if you don't show. I reluctantly go to the auction and and it doesn't bring the reserve. They come and ask me if I will lower the reserve $ 75000 and I say hell NO . I got a minute of auction time while restomods got 3 to 4 minutes. They were ready to pack up leave at that point. No one cares snd I end up with a No Sale on my car.
    There are to so many Mecum auctions and there is only the auction house getting rich. Just my 2 cents .

Thanks Steve

Rukiddin

Sounds like the "Mecum Mafia" at work. Would you be willing to share your costs for a "no sale". I had considered offering one of my cars,but luckily changed my mind... I had to consider all the risks/costs. Thanks for any insight!

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Steve Z on May 24, 2021, 06:50:37 PM
     We may want to start another topic in regards to Mecum ? But I took my BOSS 9 to the auction this year in Indy. I discussed the position that I would want to be in , which was Saturday Afternoon on the May 22nd. They agreed and sent the paperwork work to sign. This was 2 months before the auction. The line up comes out out and I am 9th from the end on Saturday.
      I call them and email them and say I am pulling my car from the auction. They say that there will be a fine and they are getting calls on my car and thier will be bidders there to bid on on my car. And of course there  contract has a penalty clause if you don't show. I reluctantly go to the auction and and it doesn't bring the reserve. They come and ask me if I will lower the reserve $ 75000 and I say hell NO . I got a minute of auction time while restomods got 3 to 4 minutes. They were ready to pack up leave at that point. No one cares snd I end up with a No Sale on my car.
    There are to so many Mecum auctions and there is only the auction house getting rich. Just my 2 cents .

Thanks Steve
I'd love to see this car on BaT. What do you have to lose? 99 bucks.  Far less I bet than Mecum. I saw one of these in Ed Meyer's shop(brother's barn) in March 2013. I thought he said it was one of 2 made(he also had a CC 70 in there also). Sister car to this one?  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)