News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Mecum - Indianapolis 2021 - SHELBY Products 1962-1970

Started by silverton_ford, May 05, 2021, 12:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Special Ed

We had the other 1 of 2 rare 70 pastel / white boss 429 in our shop for a while until a texas man bought it to match his 70 pastel b2.I was originally going to stay sat at mecum to help steve sell his car until they moved it till the LATE saturday night ending. I think mecum moved his sat afternoon  car to late saturday night to try and get bidders to stay late and did that without asking steve first BUT why did they pick his car and why does a 69 mach 1 remain a feature car and this RARE boss 429 not? I had a buyer call me thinking they pulled his car because he couldnt find it until i told him its now at the end of the auction. I left mecum friday night then to go to IN. saac meet to help out saturday show of which we had a great turnout of cars and spectators (i think 170 or so cars showed up including Rex Myers 1966 AM GT40).

Steve Z

Ed, I am not sure what Mecums thinking was on the whole deal. I argued with and threatened to pull the car , because my thought be being that late and No Sale would not be good for the car. Anyway the car is back home and I appreciate all the help that you and Nate have given me. 
        Thanks Steve

Tired Sheep

Ed, I am not sure what Mecums thinking was on the whole deal.

Separating you from as much money as possible?

Ever notice how quickly cars sell after the reserve is dropped? Usually the next bidder with a quick hammer.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Tired Sheep on May 25, 2021, 07:49:09 PMEver notice how quickly cars sell after the reserve is dropped? Usually the next bidder with a quick hammer.
Sure they have already made the bulk of their money. Why drag it out for another minute for only a couple hundred bucks in their pocket?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

whiteykr

5R106,
The price quoted me was $1.5 mil.
I asked who owned it,Dana Mecum? No answer.

PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy

I'm sure $1.5 million is his reserve and he would not lower it...no matter how much people pestered him.
Tom - DFW, Texas

67 GT350

I really hope that you guys realize this is not good for the car hobby. No mater what brand.
RARE  Signature Delete

PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy

You sir, are absolutely right. In the 70s a 67 Shelby in decent shape was ~$2500 bucks. When I finally decided I wanted one in the mid 90s it was ~$25,000. Sure I could do it, no big deal. I bought one but questioned my sanity.  I could still do it now at what they sell for but it's ridiculous, so I won't.  Decided I would go a different direction.  It just takes the fun out of it, I'm sure the appreciation is good for the guys that kept their cars long term, but the reality is dad's can't work on cars with their sons now, they're just too expensive for the average "Joe".  Even run-of-the-mill stuff is super expense. I feel bad for the dad's that want to do something with a car with their children. It's stratospheric now.
Tom - DFW, Texas

CharlesTurner

Quote from: PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy on May 30, 2021, 12:50:22 AM
You sir, are absolutely right. In the 70s a 67 Shelby in decent shape was ~$2500 bucks. When I finally decided I wanted one in the mid 90s it was ~$25,000. Sure I could do it, no big deal. I bought one but questioned my sanity.  I could still do it now at what they sell for but it's ridiculous, so I won't.  Decided I would go a different direction.  It just takes the fun out of it, I'm sure the appreciation is good for the guys that kept their cars long term, but the reality is dad's can't work on cars with their sons now, they're just too expensive for the average "Joe".  Even run-of-the-mill stuff is super expense. I feel bad for the dad's that want to do something with a car with their children. It's stratospheric now.

Mustangs were cheap cars back in the day, which is why they became projects for many folks.  There are plenty other cars that are cheap like Mustangs were today.  I don't really see the logic in this.  Buy what you can afford and have fun with it, there are many other options. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

sfm5

You can still buy decent 1st generation fastback project cars for 15K-25K, and parts are plentiful and affordable for these cars since there were so many produced. Look at all the companies producing aftermarket parts just for 1st gen Mustangs alone. No doubt, Shelbys and other variants that represent to top of the food chain have become very expensive, out of reach for most back yard mechanics that didn't get into these cars early and hang onto them. Plenty of affordable classics out there to wrench on.
65 GT350

427heaven

Been shopping lately? Its good for all involved in the business, or hobby! Prices are up on everything , not that I like it but its the way of the world. Prices for homes in the 70s were around 30 k for a 3 bed 2 bath, now a million dollars unless your in the back 40,  SHELBYS back then 2500... Now 200k. People jump in and off the collector train at different times, another FACT of life. A friend just turned down 35 million dollars for an early 60s FERRARI, I dont hate... I congratulate! Where is all this going? Who cares... jump in it and drive them, race them, enjoy them, the clock is ticking. ;)

whiteykr

I gave the price on 5R106 because it was the only car listed without a number. I was at the auction  and decided to get the price to share with the SAAC. No intent on invoking negative reaction. I always say to the people that know me. If you want a show car ,build it especially if you have the means. If you have a driver ,drive and enjoy it. And if you intend on owning  your car forever or a long time ,make it the way you want. You are the only one the car has to satisfy. If you intend on selling the car the best is to put as close to factory as possible.Others may differ. I don't care if the car is a 65 hardtop or a 65 Shelby as long as they are nice condition. I can talk with the owner all day.As far as prices, there are deals but be ready with the cash to buy.
Hope this clears up things. I am on SAAC to learn and help people with cars like mine.

shelbymann1970

With these cars going up and up in value who profits the most? INSURANCE companies! I have no desire to ever sell my 70 GT350 vert  but watched my insurance premiums go up and up. I used to cancel collision with Hagerty for the winter months and they would fight me and say my premiums are based in that I wouldn't be driving it year round. After comparing my premiums with those in year round climates I call BS on that. So a year and a half ago I dropped my collision on my Shelby and Hagerty said their policy was it had to be off the road for a year if I did. So I did and Covid hit so it has been off the road. If they were not going to insure it before a year was up I was going to change carriers. My insurance rant is over. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

67 GT350

Hagerty is high, switch your cars to American Classic Insurance.....been there now for years and they are much less money.
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 67 GT350 on June 01, 2021, 08:28:14 AM
Hagerty is high, switch your cars to American Classic Insurance.....been there now for years and they are much less money.
Thank you. Have you ever had a claim? With Hagerty they are pretty stand up on their claims. I had had 3 "weird" claims they paid out on over the years. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)