News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

VIN Tag on Cowl

Started by aj, May 05, 2021, 01:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aj

Car is headed to media blaster and I'd like to hear thoughts/comments from experts about removing the VIN tag from cowl.

And are there particular rivets that are used to reattach the VIN ?  This is a 70 model so the VIN tag so I'm not sure if that meant a specific rivet was used during the re-VIN process.

The fellow doing metal work says he commonly removes/replaces VIN tag.  He specializes in 65-70 mustangs and has worked on a number Boss 429/302 and Shelbys in the past.   He's advising it's a non-issue to remove VIN tag for safe keeping while car is being blasted/primed/painted.   I trust him...but want to verify.

If this is standard practice,  I'll remove tag myself before delivering car.

Thanks   

Shelbypat

I don't want to say yes or no but want to let you know rosette rivets are available in the market.

Patrick

Bob Gaines

Quote from: aj on May 05, 2021, 01:31:08 PM
Car is headed to media blaster and I'd like to hear thoughts/comments from experts about removing the VIN tag from cowl.

And are there particular rivets that are used to reattach the VIN ?  This is a 70 model so the VIN tag so I'm not sure if that meant a specific rivet was used during the re-VIN process.

The fellow doing metal work says he commonly removes/replaces VIN tag.  He specializes in 65-70 mustangs and has worked on a number Boss 429/302 and Shelbys in the past.   He's advising it's a non-issue to remove VIN tag for safe keeping while car is being blasted/primed/painted.   I trust him...but want to verify.

Thanks
Verification given that the fellow doing the metal work is correct.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

Some had rosette rivets and others just plain. I would put scotch tape on the plate (trimmed to just cover it) then cover it with 2-3 layers of duct tape leaving about 1/4" on all sides. That will protect the tag and the scotch tape isn't sticky enough to peel the pain off the tag. It also means you are not committing a federal felony by removing the VIN.

Posted on February 19, 2020
Yes, it is illegal to remove a VIN number. Doing so is a violation of federal law. There are, however, some exceptions* that can apply.
Under federal law, removing a VIN number is a felony offense. A conviction can carry up to:
5 years in jail, and $250,000 in fines.

* If it's necessary for repairs or car being scrapped by legit junk yard - I'd argue it's not "necessary" for the repairs you are doing.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

There are no special rosette rivets used on the 70 Shelby dash vin plate. FYI It is common for restorers to remove them for safety reasons during restorations. I have never heard tell of a issue with law enforcement over removing them during restoration. I certainly am not privy to all restorations being done in recent years on 69/70 Shelby's however I am connected enough in the Shelby community that if it were a significant issue with law enforcement about taking the dash vin plate off I think I would have heard something about it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: aj on May 05, 2021, 01:31:08 PM

Thanks
Here is some food for thought before blasting: Does the whole car need blasting? What condition is that area where the VIN tag is? I don't recall seeing that area in any car I have taken apart(many 69-70s) where I felt the need to blast that area. When I media blasted my car I didn't do that area or the firewall or the interior floors or most the trunk. It didn't need it and it kept the factory shutz and seam sealers in place. I never removed my tag and to this day I don't recall Rosette rivets on 68s-70s cars  I have had apart. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Peter L.

Removing a VIN to falsify it on another vehicle is certainly against the law. Removing a VIN is illegal, however there are certain exceptions. According to SC Law Group there are exceptions to the law, eg. " anyone who has to remove or alter the VIN to make a repair". Knowing the VIN is going back on the same vehicle, I believe presents no problem.
  I worked for one of the largest restoration shops in the world, and believe me the blasting media goes everywhere, no matter how careful you are. It's too late after the fact to say ' I should have removed the tag' once its damaged.
Play it safe and remove the tag.
  Just my 2.45 cents.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Peter L. on May 06, 2021, 08:21:37 AM
  Removing a VIN to falsify it on another vehicle is certainly against the law. Removing a VIN is illegal, however there are certain exceptions. According to SC Law Group there are exceptions to the law, eg. " anyone who has to remove or alter the VIN to make a repair". Knowing the VIN is going back on the same vehicle, I believe presents no problem.
  I worked for one of the largest restoration shops in the world, and believe me the blasting media goes everywhere, no matter how careful you are. It's too late after the fact to say ' I should have removed the tag' once its damaged.
Play it safe and remove the tag.
  Just my 2.45 cents.
True on the blasting but you can easily protect a plate and the 1970 dash VIN plate are black-no Ford script around them to worry about either. Staying off the firewall or other areas not needing to be done will not hurt when some media finds its way to that surface or if someone is worried about it there are different type of "covers" that can be used to protect the surfaces. Mine came out as expected after blasting on a rotisserie.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)