News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

"Meguiars Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner–Clean Tires & Wheels Without Using Acid"

Started by TedS, May 06, 2021, 07:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedS

I have been a user of Black Magic Bleche Wite on tires since back when it was Wesley's and worked well. As others have agreed, it doesn't work as well now. I recently found this product at a detailer specialty store. I bought some and it seems to work well. You also can wash the wheel and tire with the same product. So far I've only used it on current factory wheels so I don't know how it would work on vintage alloy wheels. I also don't any tires with white letters or white walls so I can't address that either. I would be interested to hear if others have tried it and what they found.

https://www.meguiars.com/professional/products/meguiars-non-acid-wheel-tire-cleaner-clean-tires-wheels-without-using-acid

Best regards
Ted

69mach351w

Actually right now I'm trying to find something to clean my white letter tires for the car show season. I haven't shown in a couple years and the tires look awful. I just tried the Black Magic Bleche Wite, yes, it's a joke, didn't do anything for the tires.

I do know many on here mentioned the bleche wite not being the same.  I don't know what else to try, maybe what you have here TedS? 

Maybe others chime in.

CSX 4133

I've used Adam's Tire and wheel cleaner with excellent results. Using a stiff brush on the tires sidewall is key after letting the cleaner dwell for a minute.

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/wheel-tire-cleaning-liquids-chemicals/products/adams-wheel-tire-cleaner

propayne

^^^ I read about the Comet on another thread and gave that a try.

Bought a nice, new wooden handled wire brush like you use on a grill. Removed the metal piece on the end and scrubbed the tires using a hose to wet everything and flush it all clean when I was done.

Worked really well.

Also - here is a video from Don at WCCC on what he does -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA6VQWgf05g

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

KR Convertible

My $.02

You don't need chemicals for the blue coating on new tires.  Hot water melts it off easily, the hotter, the better.

Black Magic Bleche White is not nearly as effective as the old Westley's Bleche White.  I am curious about the European formula Don mentioned, though.  Would be interested in feedback.

I wouldn't use a wire brush, especially with nice aluminum wheels.  It will scratch the clear on the wheels and possibly the rubber.  If the surface of the rubber is all scratched up, it will hold the dirt and be more difficult to get clean next time.  I clean mine regularly and usually just use a soft wheel brush.  If I have a spot that needs more attention I use a stiff bristle plastic brush.  You can get more aggressive by using steel wool, Scotch Brite, or even wet/dry sandpaper.  Start with fine grit and work your way up.

My biggest dilemma these days is how to clean wheels on the car when you don't want chemicals to affect your rotors when you have large openings in the wheels.  Specifically, Ford GT wheels.  I take them off to clean them.  A huge PITA!!

ChicagoChris

Used to use SOS pads in the 1970's on whitewalls with great results.

TedS

Quote from: KR Convertible on May 07, 2021, 09:42:50 AM
My $.02

You don't need chemicals for the blue coating on new tires.  Hot water melts it off easily, the hotter, the better.

Black Magic Bleche White is not nearly as effective as the old Westley's Bleche White.  I am curious about the European formula Don mentioned, though.  Would be interested in feedback.

I wouldn't use a wire brush, especially with nice aluminum wheels.  It will scratch the clear on the wheels and possibly the rubber.  If the surface of the rubber is all scratched up, it will hold the dirt and be more difficult to get clean next time.  I clean mine regularly and usually just use a soft wheel brush.  If I have a spot that needs more attention I use a stiff bristle plastic brush.  You can get more aggressive by using steel wool, Scotch Brite, or even wet/dry sandpaper.  Start with fine grit and work your way up.

My biggest dilemma these days is how to clean wheels on the car when you don't want chemicals to affect your rotors when you have large openings in the wheels.  Specifically, Ford GT wheels.  I take them off to clean them.  A huge PITA!!

I checked the MSDS document for the product listed in OP and all hazard classifications come back as Category 1 so while it says "non-acid" you still need to use with caution and observe label warnings.

https://www.meguiars.com/sites/default/files/pdf/D143%20SDS.pdf