News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby Number Prefix

Started by tesgt350, May 06, 2021, 01:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesgt350

The Shelby Cobra uses CSX, the Shelby Mustang uses SFM, dose the Shelby Tiger use anything?

mark p

Quote from: tesgt350 on May 06, 2021, 01:13:37 PM
The Shelby Cobra uses CSX, the Shelby Mustang uses SFM, dose the Shelby Tiger use anything?

Tigers were/are all Sunbeams, and the s/n format is theirs (per the link above).
My understanding is that Shelby American had no further manufacturing involvement past the design/prototype phase... except Ol' Shel got his $5 for each one built.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

honker

Just for reference, here are the tags from a couple of Tigers I shot in 2018 at Brits By The Lake, North East of Toronto, Ontario,

Canada.

Mike

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: mark p on May 06, 2021, 01:27:44 PM

Tigers were/are all Sunbeams, and the s/n format is theirs (per the link above).
My understanding is that Shelby American had no further manufacturing involvement past the design/prototype phase... except Ol' Shel got his $5 for each one built.
Shelby's first Chrysler product involvement. I understand only 2 cars. First a quick proof of concept with V8 automatic and then an engineered installation with development of all the necessary parts.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bill

Quote from: honker on May 06, 2021, 01:31:43 PM
Just for reference, here are the tags from a couple of Tigers I shot in 2018 at Brits By The Lake, North East of Toronto, Ontario,

Canada.

Mike

Both of my old Tigers had the same. No Shelby tags or stickers other the the self adhesive SAAC window sticker :D
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

tesgt350

Thanks everyone, that helps.

mark p

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 06, 2021, 01:40:13 PM
Quote from: mark p on May 06, 2021, 01:27:44 PM

Shelby's first Chrysler product involvement. I understand only 2 cars. First a quick proof of concept with V8 automatic and then an engineered installation with development of all the necessary parts.

The stories that I've always heard state that Ken Miles built the quick proof of concept/auto-trans car and Shelby did actual engineering/design work and built the 2nd one... according to the books (etc)
I got this photo somewhere on the web of the now-restored Ken Miles quickie, candy apple red with minilites.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird