News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

66 GT350H , Orig. Aluminum oil pan, seal

Started by alexgt350h, May 07, 2021, 05:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexgt350h

Have had a leaking oil pan so thought I would replace the seal.
Removed starter, dropped steering linkage, removed cross member and dropped pan.
All Good at this point.
Using Fel-Pro Gasket # OS 13260 C
Cork gasket on pan - perfect fit. End seals--- can't get them to stay in place. Seems to be to wide.

Any suggestions? Or maybe a different brand of gasket?

Also can't get pan to clear oil pump pickup - by about 1/8" , any ideas?
If engine was out of car it wouldn't be an issue.

Thought this would be a quickie-------WRONG!

6s1640

Hi Alex,

Do you know if the block has been lined bored?  That might make the end cap just a pinch shorter, making the end seals just a wee too long.  The difference should be minuscule, but just a thought.  It might be just enough they won't seat.  You best bet might be a different supplier.

On the pickup,  you might need to tweak the tubing.  A hand held propane torch can be used to slightly bend out of the way.  I had success doing this as well.

Best of luck

Cory

kingchief

When you change gaskets, do you use and gasket sealant goop also or just bolt it back...assuming all is well???

Thanks,

Steve
SFM 6S406

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kingchief on May 08, 2021, 09:07:41 AM
When you change gaskets, do you use and gasket sealant goop also or just bolt it back...assuming all is well???

Thanks,

Steve
If you are concerned about original look over function then make sure that goop does not squeeze out and show . Many use the silicone on the joints of the rubber seals and then use a gasket sealer like Indian Head brand or similar on the cork gaskets because a similar amber/honey looking product was used back in the day. Regardless you don't want a lot of whatever squeezing out the sides.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

8T03S1425

Quote from: alexgt350h on May 07, 2021, 05:01:59 PM
Have had a leaking oil pan so thought I would replace the seal.
Removed starter, dropped steering linkage, removed cross member and dropped pan.
All Good at this point.
Using Fel-Pro Gasket # OS 13260 C
Cork gasket on pan - perfect fit. End seals--- can't get them to stay in place. Seems to be to wide.

Any suggestions? Or maybe a different brand of gasket?

If the engine was out before your ownership, is there a possibility that a previous owner changed the stock oil pick-up with an extended one, thinking it is necessary when using the T pan? I've had some guys recommend that I use an extended oil pick-up when I rebuilt a 289 HiPo, back in the '70s. I since found out, the stock pick-up is what should be used.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

alexgt350h

I am sure the oil pump and tube are not original.
Might try and tweek the tube a bit.
As far as the rubber seals, the ones I had just wouldn't fit in the grooves.
Looking for a different set, besides Fel-Pro.

OldGuy

Quote from: alexgt350h on May 07, 2021, 05:01:59 PM

You don't say where you are having pan/pickup interference (bottom, edge closest to the dam on the pan, tube, etc.). I would have thought that you would have had out-of-the-ordinary difficulty dropping the pan.

Do you have an after-market pan? Ford-supplied oil pump/pickup tube?

Please elaborate.

Frank

alexgt350h

Hitting top of wall of sump by 1/8" or so. Comes off easy, back on not so much.
Don't know the mfg. of pump, but do know it isn't  OEM.
Having most trouble with the Chinese made rubber seals, seem to be to fat to properly fit in the groove.
Used Fel-Pro, but package says seals are made in China.

alexgt350h

I was able to slightly bend the oil pickup tube by hand for a much smoother oil pan installation.  As far as the front and rear rubber seals not fitting. I bought a second oil pan gasket set, and they fit like a champ. Both sets were Fel-Pro.
Go figure!!!

gjz30075

Alex, what's the part number of  your second set?   
Greg Z
6S2249

alexgt350h

Fel-Pro OS 13260 C
Not the best fit, but made them work.
And most importantly no leaks.

There has to be something better than these rubber end gaskets!!!!