Author Topic: Heater box foam kit - foam too stiff or too think or both  (Read 1559 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Heater box foam kit - foam too stiff or too think or both
« on: May 07, 2021, 10:19:46 PM »
Hi all,

I am putting a new foam kit into a 66 GT350 heater box.  I am having trouble getting the two halves of the heater box to seat into each other to install the clips.   I even removed a section of foam on the sheet metal internal flow control assembly, to get it to seat flush on the heater box.  I feel the foam is too stiff and is not crushing like it should.  Or it is too thick or both.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Is there a better kit out there that better matches OEM?

I just checked the NPD kit and it says:

GASKET SET  18A569-1C, Heater Box, repro, kit includes some components that are made of a more correct open cell foam that is much more compressible than the other kits, The cowl seal is not as nice and users may want to consider the 18A569-1 heater inlet to cowl gasket separately, Includes gaskets for both side and top hinge doors.

Any body try this kit?

Thanks

Cory
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:26:17 PM by 6s1640 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Heater box foam kit - foam too stiff or too think or both
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 10:25:39 PM »
Hi all,

I am putting a new foam kit into a 66 GT350 heater box.  I am having trouble getting the two halves of the heater box to seat into each other to install the clips.   I even removed a section of foam on the sheet metal internal flow control assembly, to get it to seat flush on the heater box.  I feel the foam is too stiff and is not crushing like it should.  Or it is too thick or both.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Is there a better kit out there that better matches OEM?

Thanks

Cory
Are you using the Danial Carpenter kit?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 10:28:00 PM »
Hi Bob,

I believe the kit I used is from VCM.  It looks the same as the one CJ Pony Parts sell too.  Looks like a closed cell foam and much more durable than original.

I found this kit.  Looks like open cell foam like original.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/ford/mustang/parts/18455a.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqqPurYW58AIVsCCtBh3-TwFHEAQYCCABEgKxsPD_BwE

Looks like I might be re-doing the foam replacement.

Cory
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:15:20 PM by 6s1640 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 10:35:23 PM »
Hi Bob,

I believe the kit I used is from VCM.  It looks the same as the one CJ Pony Parts sell too.

Cory
I have no idea who makes the kits they sell. I do know that the foam in the carpenter kits has worked for me in the past and is softer compared to others I have used.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 10:40:58 PM »
Hi Bob,

Please send me the link.  I am having trouble finding the DC kit.

Never mind, I found.  Thank you

https://www.blueovalclassics.ca/cooling/heater-box/heater-box-seals/ford-mustang-heater-seal-gasket-set-cars-factory-air-conditioning

Thanks

Cory
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:00:13 PM by 6s1640 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 11:04:40 PM »
Hi Bob,

Please send me the link.  I am having trouble finding the DC kit.

Thanks

Cory
I don't remember the vendor I got it from but maybe NPD. Call them up and ask.  You need to verify the mfg with the vendor. The DC weatherstrips are typically the best also because they are the softest. Danial carpenter is a wholesale only company but you might contact them and be able to get vendors names who buy from them.  https://www.dcmustang.com/

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 11:17:13 PM »
Hi Bob,

The Blue Oval Classics had the DC kit.

Thanks for the help.

Cory

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 09:00:04 AM »
Hi Cory,

Yes, I am doing the same thing. I purchased the Carpenter kit from NPD [they are 10 minutes from the house]. I am still working on the guts of the box, repainting, removing old gaskets and fixing some cracks in the box. There is a Utube video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKF2ePbnp3k] Episode 110 that shows at the end you have to trim some of the heater box foam ends. I have not gotten to putting my box back together yet but I intend to try his techniques if I have any issues.

Good luck to you also!

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406