News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Is this what I think it is ,an OEM fan shroud

Started by 68krrrr, May 10, 2021, 03:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68krrrr

Managed to grab this at a pretty reasonable price & seems to be all there & in good shape except someone painted it ,I did some research and although hard to see it seems to have all the right markings on it ,I see the 8146-A and the rectangle FoMoCo logo &  it looks like it says Barnum os on it .The pictures were a little deceiving because somewhere along the line someone painted the whole thing ,they took a small glass blaster to reveal the horse hair finish underneath.So question is do you think it's legit & any recommendations for removing the paint ,possibly paint stripper or maybe walnut blast and then I'm wondering ,would it be too porous looking would it possibly need some kind of matte clear coat on it.
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

Royce Peterson

I would try some paint stripper on the bottom first to make sure I liked the results. It looks like a real one.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68krrrr on May 10, 2021, 03:59:33 PM
Managed to grab this at a pretty reasonable price & seems to be all there & in good shape except someone painted it ,I did some research and although hard to see it seems to have all the right markings on it ,I see the 8146-A and the rectangle FoMoCo logo &  it looks like it says Barnum os on it .The pictures were a little deceiving because somewhere along the line someone painted the whole thing ,they took a small glass blaster to reveal the horse hair finish underneath.So question is do you think it's legit & any recommendations for removing the paint ,possibly paint stripper or maybe walnut blast and then I'm wondering ,would it be too porous looking would it possibly need some kind of matte clear coat on it.
You will have to do some body work to repair the surface on the edges . it will not look acceptable otherwise. That repair work will most likely have to be painted over to make it disappear. What kind of finish/texture does the back side have?  For example if it has a weave mat texture then it is a old repro.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68krrrr

Ok thanks Here's a couple more pictures from the backside were some paint was removed, would
an old repo say Barnum on it. Was the surface smooth to the touch or could you feel the texture of the horse hair finish .
Current
1967 GT500 #1724

Previously owned
1968 GT/CS

Thanks Adam

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68krrrr on May 10, 2021, 05:17:14 PM
Ok thanks Here's a couple more pictures from the backside were some paint was removed, would
an old repo say Barnum on it. Was the surface smooth to the touch or could you feel the texture of the horse hair finish .
Yes the old repros had Barnum on them but none that I know have a Ford trademark . I missed that in your initial post.  The picture of the backside confirms a factory type shroud . If the C7 prefix is missing then you will have to measure the width because the C8 is wider to fit a 24 inch radiator. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68krrrr

OK thanks I'm gonna experiment with some paint stripper on the bottom I think first
Current
1967 GT500 #1724

Previously owned
1968 GT/CS

Thanks Adam