News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

adding convertible inner rockers & seatpans to GT500, has anyone done this?

Started by Slick67, May 17, 2021, 01:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slick67

Thinking of adding convertible inner rockers, seat pan assembly, under pans, tunnel plate and passenger front torque box to stiffen the chassis. My 67 convertible is noticeably stiffer and handles well. Has anyone done this to their Shelby? What are your thoughts on doing this to a Shelby?

427heaven

The question is why cobble something together like that? If its a real car wouldnt you want it more like they were. as opposed to a resto-mod type car? Leave the performance mods to your vert and keep your SHELBY more like it would have been.

KR500

Slick67
Adding those to an original car would raise questions later down the road as to if the car was a fake or re body in my opinion. I have seen a RH torque box added to a 67 Shelby before and people were questioning the cars authenticity, rightfully so IMO.

Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Bossbill

When I converted a 65 coupe to a fastback track car well before the kits I added the convertible inner rockers and both torque boxes. When doing this update you have to perform major surgery on the floors as well.
It was a fair amount of work. But this is a race car.
From a suspension point of view you need rigidity so the suspension can do its work without chassis twist contributing to the mix.
Given the suspension design you'll be chasing both ends of the stick with little result until you've replaced most of the car.
If you want rigidity buy a new GT350.

Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx