News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Points wicks/felts

Started by shelbydoug, May 11, 2021, 09:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: Vcode on May 13, 2021, 01:01:08 PM
Felt - Distributor Cam Lubricator C3TZ-12A055-A

One needs to be old enough to remember them? Of course it could have been just another one of those psychotic episodes again? ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

For use on trucks with transistorized ignition.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Royce Peterson

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

Quote from: Royce Peterson on May 13, 2021, 07:09:02 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164856591428?hash=item266237f444:g:j1gAAOSwjJVgAcZa

Purely coincidence I am sure LOL....

He follows our posts. Kinda' pricey. Do they have the Ford logo? Having to having originals is the epitome of anal retentiveness?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Vcode

Here is the distributor parts drawing.
As Randy stated the 12A055 is shown for the transistorized system.

shelbydoug

Thank you for posting the diagram. It's just a curiosity to me but why would only the transistorized distributor have them?

Aren't they the same points as used in the other dual point distributors?

The detail on the shaft felt, under the rotor, isn't showing clearly. Is the * for the felt or is it for the retaining clip?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 14, 2021, 09:20:59 AM
It's just a curiosity to me but why would only the transistorized distributor have them?

I have found the felts under the rotor on many a standard points style distributor, but of course I'm not positive I could say they were there "day 1", but I wonder if so many individuals really were so concerned if in servicing the points said: "oh look, the felt is missing, I had better go down to Ford and get one" (but I have at times found some ragging material substituted, apparently in some of these possible instances of concern); but I do know the felts were continued into the Dura-Spark era for sure.       :)

Scott.

shelbydoug

I could see where the lube, packing or grease could dry out and freeze the points cam from advancing.

I don't think Ford does much arbitrarily? Another example that I can think of are the drip tabs under the Boss 302 valve covers.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

The round felt under the rotor "should be there" on all distributors from at least 59 and up.

The felts under the point rubbing block was added to decrease the need to adjust points because of the transistorized ignition "box". A special high temp non hardening "point cam grease" was developed and used by Ford.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350hr on May 14, 2021, 02:17:02 PM
   The round felt under the rotor "should be there" on all distributors from at least 59 and up.

The felts under the point rubbing block was added to decrease the need to adjust points because of the transistorized ignition "box". A special high temp non hardening "point cam grease" was developed and used by Ford.
   Randy

Is there a service part number for that felt? I don't see one.

10 aren't worth $89 to me without the Ford logo on the felts?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!