Author Topic: Ebay  (Read 1922 times)

67 GT350

• View Profile
Ebay
« on: May 12, 2021, 11:11:56 AM »
Has anyone got notice from ebay that we must supply bank info, so they can bypass PayPal and put money from sales directly into our account? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?....It just seems that "EVERYONE" will soon know "EVERYTHING" that is going on in our lives. I am waiting for the day when every paper bill will be chipped.

Of course I did it, I have just odds and ends that from time to time I would like to sell off. (Mostly Vintage Stereo Equipment)
RARE  Signature Delete

texas swede

• View Profile
Re: Ebay
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 11:19:36 AM »
I would never give anybody my account number.
Texas Swede

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »
I would never give anybody my account number.
Texas Swede

There is no choice other than leaving Ebay. You will not be allowed to sell.

My feelings are, sell off what I want to and leave it. BUT we must admit Ebay is hard to leave, it can come in handy.
Are you on BRAG-book? That is much worse. Amazon? Same gig!
RARE  Signature Delete

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 12:05:07 PM »
I hope that wasn’t a scam. I thought eBay owned PayPal. If so, I can’t figure why they would want to bypass their own money making company. Better keep an eye on your bank account.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 12:17:01 PM »
^^^ +1.  eBay does (or did) own PayPal.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 05:19:38 PM »
That was a SPAM message. Someone who is not nice just got you. Recommend that you call your bank and talk to a human to see what you should do.

Has anyone got notice from ebay that we must supply bank info, so they can bypass PayPal and put money from sales directly into our account? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?....It just seems that "EVERYONE" will soon know "EVERYTHING" that is going on in our lives. I am waiting for the day when every paper bill will be chipped.

Of course I did it, I have just odds and ends that from time to time I would like to sell off. (Mostly Vintage Stereo Equipment)
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 05:27:58 PM »
EBay is requiring your bank information. They do still own PayPal. My guess on the reason for the change is this. Once a buyer pays for the item, the seller does not immediately receive the funds. And when they do, the taxes collected are retained by Ebay and Ebay withholds the seller fees. They no longer have to wait and invoice the seller for fees. The net proceeds go directly into your bank account. However, when the seller purchases the postage it is paid by the seller through PayPal.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 09:03:34 PM »
Well now, it is a good thing that I called my bank and opened up a "special" ebay only use account. If it was a SCAM that account is separate from everything else. I guess I will have to call ebay directly and if that was so, then call the bank and close the account.

I do think anyway that is was legit, because when I put the bank info in, i went to the page via ebay. I did not click on a email link.
RARE  Signature Delete

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 08:03:34 AM »
No, it's simply a spam attack trying to get you to turn over your information so that it can be resold on the dark web. I have received the same email countless times. I logged into my eBay account and there is no similar message. eBay has a special email set up for such "spoof" emails. I forwarded it to them once. Since then I just delete it.

EBay is requiring your bank information. They do still own PayPal. My guess on the reason for the change is this. Once a buyer pays for the item, the seller does not immediately receive the funds. And when they do, the taxes collected are retained by Ebay and Ebay withholds the seller fees. They no longer have to wait and invoice the seller for fees. The net proceeds go directly into your bank account. However, when the seller purchases the postage it is paid by the seller through PayPal.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 10:01:27 AM »
Well now, it is a good thing that I called my bank and opened up a "special" ebay only use account. If it was a SCAM that account is separate from everything else. I guess I will have to call ebay directly and if that was so, then call the bank and close the account.

I do think anyway that is was legit, because when I put the bank info in, i went to the page via ebay. I did not click on a email link.
I have had a savings account with my credit union for just that-Ebay and Paypal. I also have a "silver" account so I keep my reg savings(Ebay) account about empty. Most things I buy I use my credit card for protection and use the reg account for friends and family and to deposit what I rarely sell on Ebay. I got a few friends who sell more than 20K on Ebay and have a tax guy do their taxes as all sales  is all passed along to the IRS including shipping collected as income! A friend who sells diecast has a LOT of paperwork each year now. BTW I NEVER link from any email. If I get a notification I open up a new tab/browser and go to that site and sign in or use my phone apps. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 10:13:05 AM »
OK this is good news, I just got off the phone with EBAY and YES it is LEGIT. This is something new.
AND YES, NEVER NEVER NEVER click on a link in your email. CLOSE your email, and then open up whatever place contacted you, in my case I opened up a new EBAY link and went to my account and added a bank account. I also spend up a new bank account strictly for ebay sales.
AGAIN, this is NOT a scam, but as a precaution, never just open up a link in an email.
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 04:14:47 PM »
Now you know why PayPal getting you a refund for junk Chinese products is impossible.
Jan 11, 2021
US digital money transfer platform PayPal has become the first third-party payment platform with 100 percent foreign ownership in China following its purchase of additional shares of the domestic payment firm GoPay.

PayPal Information Technology (Shanghai)'s equity stake in GoPay increased from 70 percent to 100 percent, media reports said Monday, citing data from company information website Tianyancha. Cofortune Information Technology Co gave up its 30 percent stake in GoPay.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202101/1212506.shtml#:~:text=US%20digital%20money%20transfer%20platform,the%20domestic%20payment%20firm%20GoPay.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 05:21:55 PM »
The war on CASH....you better believe it!
I, instead of saying my usual, will just say. AMERICA and the people of the US have done NOTHING but DESERVE THIS.
RARE  Signature Delete