News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Stock Oil Pressure Sending Unit / Gauge Install

Started by 68KR, May 15, 2021, 08:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68KR

I will start by noting that my prior electrical efforts with past cars have met with results akin to Pompeii, The Titanic, The Hindenburg, etc.  Let's just say I became skilled at driving with a flashlight taped to the steering column to light up the dash until the issues could be corrected.  As such, I am seeking help with the installation of a correct oil pressure sending unit, gauge etc. for my car.

Simply put, a prior owner of my KR swapped out the original electric oil pressure gauge / sending unit for an aftermarket mechanical style system.  I have spent the past few months acquiring  a correct NOS electrical sending unit, the correct Shelby gauge and, a correct oil wiring harness with the correct taped wires.  Are their any other items that I need to return the car to a stock oil pressure set-up?  Any tips that I should be aware of in order to avoid me having to buy anther flashlight?  Seriously, any advice, suggestions and/or tips are appreciated1  Thank you

gt350hr

I have NOS sending units and excellent used ones as well. PM me if you need one. I can't help with gauges or wiring , sorry.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Corey Bowcutt

I am a little confused when you say "a correct oil wiring harness with the correct taped wires"?  The stock Mustang harness had the oil pressure wire (white with red stripe) taped up because it was not used with the Shelby gage.  In it place is different white with red stripe wire that goes directly to the gage.  Pete Disher just sold me one of these harnesses.  The wire passes thru the firewall thru the same hole as the Amp gage wires.

Corey

KR500

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on May 17, 2021, 02:33:46 PM
I am a little confused when you say "a correct oil wiring harness with the correct taped wires"?  The stock Mustang harness had the oil pressure wire (white with red stripe) taped up because it was not used with the Shelby gage.  In it place is different white with red stripe wire that goes directly to the gage.  Pete Disher just sold me one of these harnesses.  The wire passes thru the firewall thru the same hole as the Amp gage wires.

Corey
Corey
68 GT 350's ran a complete new wire from the sender to the gauge, GT 500's and KR's sliced in a new section of wire from the last ( about ) 2 feet from the sender to the gauge. The splice is typically 1/3 to 1/2 way back on the valve cover using a white 3M Scotchlock connector.

Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you for the clarification Rodney.

Corey