News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 Steel Hood

Started by footnfan, June 02, 2021, 10:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

footnfan

Good morning everyone. I am seeking info on my 1966 GT350 Steel hood, as I am writing an ad for Bring A trailer, and I want to be as accurate as possible.

I have been reading articles for several weeks, and the common theme seems to be that most of these hoods were placed on Hertz cars, for added durability? Is that true? Any additional insight you can share would be appreciated, and thank you in advance. Oh, and corrections to my assumption are appreciated, and welcomed!!

Dan in Naples Fl.

texas swede

6S923 (non-Hertz) came with an original Shelby steel hood and scoop soldered over a round hole.
Unfortunately, the original hood was too warped (probably a carb fire) to use so my friend Roland in Sweden had the scoop
transferred over to another Mustang steel hood. Later we were informed that the original Shelby steel hoods had a special
frame with some differences in comparison with the Mustang ones.
Texas Swede

footnfan

Thank you! Do you know what these differences were, so I could possible verify the fact that my hood is indeed an original Shelby Steel hood? Thanks again

texas swede

This is a picture from an earlier discussion about the 66 steel hood.
Texas Swede

texas swede

Here is a picture of the Mustang hood with the original hood scoop.
Compare the difference with the earlier picture.
Texas Swede

texas swede

Here is a picture of the date code on the original hood on 6S923.
Texas Swede

footnfan

Thank you, my underside does nor have a round hole, but a cut out depicted below:

And my ID marks

texas swede

I don't know if some hoods had round holes and others rectangular.
The experts on this Forum probably know.
What's the serial number of the car it came off?
Texas Swede

footnfan

It was on car 2166, but over  time I came to understand that 2166 was a collection of parts. The previous owner was well financed, loved to collect rare parts, and they usually found their way to 2166. I do not believe it came with the car, so I think any connection to 2166 is not valid. Just my guess after owning the car for more than 20 years.

98SVT - was 06GT

The scoops were brazed on (with brass) not soldered.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

footnfan

Can i check this one to see if it is brazed on?

texas swede

I don't have any picture showing the scoop during removal, only after.
Texas Swede