News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hagerty Value Guide - 1966 GT350 shot up!

Started by silverton_ford, May 15, 2021, 08:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5s386

What is the value of a rebody 65 or 66 Shelby currently? I've seen a 65 Shelby sell at auction for over $340K and it was restored as a rebody twice. Also saw a 66 Shelby rebody sell for $150K on Ebay.

67 GT350

Quote from: 5s386 on May 21, 2021, 07:47:21 PM
What is the value of a rebody 65 or 66 Shelby currently? I've seen a 65 Shelby sell at auction for over $340K and it was restored as a rebody twice. Also saw a 66 Shelby rebody sell for $150K on Ebay.

PLEASE let us know on here, I would hate to get one of them.
Is there a complete list of re-body cars, other than the maybe the registry's that we do not have yet.
I also would bet that there are many more that nobody knows about.
RARE  Signature Delete

J_Speegle

Where would you stop with a list?  Just rebodied or the currently more popular with unibody reconstruction or even clipped cars?

One other challenge with a list would be that new people to the cars or those passing through might assume that if the car is not on the/a list then is must be OK. And we know where those stories lead to ------- someone becoming "that guy"
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

camp upshur

not only where do you stop w such a list, but where do you start?
another gossip column like 'the registry'? without editing, fact checking, or attribution - look at the damage done to cars (such as SFM5S038, thankfully not mine) without a scintilla of verified fact? because some passerby spit put a speculative cheap shot? thence codified in 'the registry'?
conversely, since our hobby relies on unverified submissions as fact what's to prevent the publishing of pap such as the gaudy narratives we see the auction houses churn out?

a buyer simply must educate themselves on what they are looking at.
regarding suspicion of a 'rebody' which would presumably have all of the authentic SAI pieces from the donor/original: it would come down to an analysis of the unibody. when was the original donor created? when was it delivered? from that one could deduce the Dearborn/Nashville date code stamping range of the panels/glass. that should be enough one started....from there it gets to be fun. especially if you're thinking of dropping a couple hundred (large).

GT350DAVE

That's why you contact a Registrar. Not everything is in print. We Registrars also believe strongly in inspections.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

67 GT350

Yes to all, you are right, bad idea and bad suggestion.....and asking the registrar probably is the best idea.
RARE  Signature Delete

SFM6S087

With all due respect, keep in mind that the Registrars are human, and therefore occasionally make mistakes. Sometimes it's as simple as accidentally mixing up the data between two different cars. Sometimes it's taking the word of a single person because that person has proven reliable in the past. Sometimes there are judgment calls to be made when conflicting information is received. The possibilities for errors to creep into the records are limitless. And, yes, I've seen real life examples of several of those. All of them corrected when brought to light, I'm happy to say.

In spite of all that, the Registrars do an amazing job and have my undying gratitude for their hard work. Just don't expect perfection from humans.

My point is that if it's critical that some bit of information is correct then check with as many sources as possible. Just because something is in the Registry does not make it unquestionably 100% accurate. It's a great starting point, but getting confirmation from other sources is always a good idea.

Steve

427hunter

It appears almost every thread has to get off topic and negative. Great work ! 
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

GT350DAVE

Quote from: camp upshur on May 22, 2021, 02:16:56 AM

not only where do you stop w such a list, but where do you start?
another gossip column like 'the registry'? without editing, fact checking, or attribution - look at the damage done to cars (such as SFM5S038, thankfully not mine) without a scintilla of verified fact? because some passerby spit put a speculative cheap shot? thence codified in 'the registry'?
conversely, since our hobby relies on unverified submissions as fact what's to prevent the publishing of pap such as the gaudy narratives we see the auction houses churn out?

a buyer simply must educate themselves on what they are looking at.
regarding suspicion of a 'rebody' which would presumably have all of the authentic SAI pieces from the donor/original: it would come down to an analysis of the unibody. when was the original donor created? when was it delivered? from that one could deduce the Dearborn/Nashville date code stamping range of the panels/glass. that should be enough one started....from there it gets to be fun. especially if you're thinking of dropping a couple hundred (large).

Camp upshur,
I reread your above post and did the homework you should have done by calling the 1965 Registrar. your "another gossip column like the Registry? without editing fact checking or attribution - look at the damage to SFM5S038, thankfully not mine) without a scintilla of verified fact?"

The information about this car came from an article in Mustangs and Fords 1/99 and discussions with previous owners. It is accurate and your assessment is not.
Call the 1965 Registrar before you throw rocks at the Registry and Registrar and get your facts straight. You owe it to him after slamming his credibility on a public forum. The only cheap shot was yours.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

BGlover67

What started out as an interesting and relevant topic quickly degenerated into bashing the registry, really?  There may be a lot of problems with this hobby as of yet, but the Registry and the folks who put it together aren't where you should be starting.  pretty sad. :'(
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

427hunter

Quote from: BGlover67 on May 23, 2021, 02:54:00 PM
What started out as an interesting and relevant topic quickly degenerated into bashing the registry, really?  There may be a lot of problems with this hobby as of yet, but the Registry and the folks who put it together aren't where you should be starting.  pretty sad. :'(

It is interesting it's always the same players, "Camp Upshur" who "verified" a 65 gt350 that turned out to have restamped inner fender numbers is always bashing the registry, and those who for whatever reason feel the need  to share a negative opinion. Off topic and angry should be the forum motto.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

JBinAlabama

I'm new here and no expert. However I do have enough sense to check with a registrar and someone who does know before purchasing. Best I can tell there are a lot of questionable cars out there but the sure enough documented cars are considerably more valuable  for a variety of reasons. An awful lot of things can happen over 50 years to a car.
I appreciate Mr. Pardee's information more than I can tell you on his opinion to this model year.
Hope to get to know some of you guys over the next few years as a newbie I will have many questions🤙🏼

chris NOS

jbinAlabama  you would be suprised how many time somebody is buying a car and checking only after if it's legit !!!
welcome on SAAC forum.