News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Value of original bumpers?

Started by Ldouble619, May 16, 2021, 01:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ldouble619

I need to either rechrome or replace. What is the value to sell the original bumpers? Rear bumper had a hitch installed in the 70's.

Bob Gaines

I can't tell for sure but the front bumper likes good with no twist etc. I can't see the back side to tell if it has been straiten and left pier marks etc. It looks to be a good candidate for a rechrome barring any unseen issues. Given the cost to rechrome a bumper now is 4-500.00 plus shipping to and from ,the bumper with the holes for a trailer hitch bracket is a lost cause.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Ldouble619

Thanks, Bob. Front bumper is fairly straight and should be saved and rechromed.  What are your thoughts on the current repo from cobranda?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Ldouble619 on May 16, 2021, 03:44:04 PM
Thanks, Bob. Front bumper is fairly straight and should be saved and rechromed.  What are your thoughts on the current repo from cobranda?
69 /70 Shelby front bumper repro from Branda is pretty nice quality part as repro bumpers go.I would rather rechrome a original if the core is good.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shlb69

JWH

Hopefully, I am not highjacking the thread, but how can a person distinguish an original bumper from a repro? Did the originals have part #s stamped into them? It seems like re-finishing the originals would be the way to go but maybe there is no obvious way to differentiate between original and repro?

69 GT350 Vert

I learned a few things over the past 5 years trying to find a good-fitting original bumper.  I finally found one via Ed M. 

A good way to know if a front bumper is straight, is to take an original fog light support, or a Jim Cowles repro support, with you and fit it into the bumper.  If the gap between the bumper and fog light support is not even from center to outer edges, you should pass on that bumper and look for another.   

The original bumpers have a slight crease in the chrome about an inch from the front edge.  If an original bumper has been rechromed, the crease can disapper.