News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

upper clutch rod/clutch pedal assembly - spring clip cotter pin falls out

Started by SAM83, May 16, 2021, 05:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAM83

Hi All,

'68 Shelby GT350

The spring clip cotter pin that holds the upper clutch rod and clutch pedal assembly together under the dash keeps falling out causing the clutch pedal to go to the floor when the two parts disconnect.  Basically have no way of engaging clutch at that point and am stuck in whatever gear I happen to be in when attempting the latest shift.

Am not quite sure how this happens as the semi circle portion of the pin hugs the shaft on one side.  Pin is found on drivers side carpet and is not deformed or showing any signs of wear. Somehow the retention leg of the pin is getting spread apart (just a guess) and the straight leg has nothing to keep it in the hole and gravity has it's way with it.  Wish there was a way to push to pin through from the top and not bottom.

Is very hard to get an idea of what is going on as access/visibility is very limited, but can push on pedal and observe the parts in what looks to be a normal motion.  Everything seems to be aligned correctly

Tried using a conventional cotter pin but there is no access to bend the pin ends to keep it in place.

Car had rotisserie restoration completed on it a few years back.  Didn't have any problems for the first 2 years. Drove it to SAAC convention in 2018, was consistently taking it out on weekends, then about a year ago it started happening.

Has anyone run into this problem or have any ideas about a fix or what is going on?

Any recommendations for a good mechanic in Auburn CA (greater Sacramento area)?  Not a big fan of under dash work and guessing when it's going to happen next is a little nerve racking as the first time I was out in the middle of no where with no cell reception and impending darkness.  Put a safety pin in hole and duct tape to hold it together.

gt350bp

Reproduction clutch rod with hole for the clip not index in the correct position like an original. I had alerted NPD years ago of this problem when I decided to try and use reproduction clutch parts and save the originals. I also believe there are two different clips that were used and Ford's second version was a better design that secured the clip. I recall this as I went to a local dealer for the clip using a number found in the parts books and dealer provided a revised clip at no charge. May have been in a service bulletin ?

Don
gt350bp

SAM83

thanks for the tip about reproduction parts and the possibility of pin upgrade!  I'll investigate these leads

I bought some pins from NPD and looked just like the one that the restoration shop had put in.

Have thought about using twisted wire to secure.  Design is a little on the weak side considering what it is supposed to do.

TA Coupe

If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Tired Sheep

68 does not use a pin, it uses a square clip on end of clutch pedal

SFM5S000

If you're between Hwy 50 and 80 east of Sac, give Kevin Sittner a call down at Precision Machine. He's down in Lodi (209) 369-2600. Kevin is very experienced racing and restoring Shelbys. He's also a member with NorCal Shelby.

Cheers,
~Earl J

SAM83

should have thought to look here as well:

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/clutch

so the square clip goes over the end of the rod that pushes through the clutch pedal bracket in the photo I attached in previous post?

gt350bp

Attached is photo of the replacement type spring clip that I got from my local Ford dealer years ago for the upper clutch rod to clutch pedal. The more typical lynch pin clips are used at the z-bar. Found this photo in the AMK catalogue and hope to hear from the experts if this is a service bulletin part. I remember the parts guy telling me that I found the only free part from Ford. I got a small envelop with 3 or 4 clips at N/C. Hope this may help.

Don
gt350bp

SAM83

so maybe the clip in the AMK catalog you posted is similar to replacement bulletin part for the square clip shown on Pete's website? or is the square clip used in a different location?

The AMK part looks more substantial than the NPD sourced clip.

Maybe I get both square and AMK sourced part and see which looks to be a better solution?

Corey Bowcutt

When I was searching AMK for parts to reassemble my clutch I came up with F-671 which they listed as "Clutch Pedal".

Corey

Tired Sheep

The square clip is for the clutch pedal pivot, not the one in your photo

The cotter pin you have is correct, but looks a little like its not the correct gauge metal

The squiggly pin in reply 9 is not for the clutch, thats a brake switch pin

You need to look at the z bar and connecting rod to see if they are correct

Also check the pivot points in the pedal support to see if they are worn out

TLea

I agree 100% issue is repo rod pin indexing   Been there done that

SAM83

Thanks for everyone's help in pointing me in the right direction and presenting possibilities.  Was kind of at a dead end in knowing how to move forward.

I'll have to find out if reproduction parts were used in the clutch assembly and look to see if alignment is incorrect and if so replace.  Will also look to see if spring clip can be found in a bit more substantial gage.

Will post again once these things are investigated and the necessary corrections are made

Cobrask8

When i went through a similar situation on my 69, I also changed the clip, but also added very thin washers/spring washers to insulate the clip from moving parts, and to tighten up the linkage.