News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Side scoop and end cap sealant application for 69-70

Started by SChatman, May 22, 2021, 03:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SChatman

I've seen on this Forum and the Concourse Mustang Forum to use RTV clear (also ribbon caulk sometimes) to seal these pieces when installing but my question is what is the proper application procedure? Apply the caulk and put the part on and wipe off the excess? or caulk and wait for the sealant to set up a little before install then wipe excess?
or install part and caulk the gap and wipe excess? If the RTV is applied and then part is installed...do you tighten until most of the caulk is squeezed out and then wipe off the excess?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SChatman on May 22, 2021, 03:42:01 PM
I've seen on this Forum and the Concourse Mustang Forum to use RTV clear (also ribbon caulk sometimes) to seal these pieces when installing but my question is what is the proper application procedure? Apply the caulk and put the part on and wipe off the excess? or caulk and wait for the sealant to set up a little before install then wipe excess?
or install part and caulk the gap and wipe excess? If the RTV is applied and then part is installed...do you tighten until most of the caulk is squeezed out and then wipe off the excess?
The short answer is put the part on then silicone and wipe off the excess.  After installing the scoop I tape both sides of the crack/seam. I apply the bead of silicone to the seam . I then wipe the silicone applied seam with my finger which works the silicone done into the seam while removing excess and leaving a relative flat surface remainder. I then peel off the tape on ether side of the seam which allows the uncured silicone edges to lay done before curing.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby