Author Topic: 69-70 front fender black out areas  (Read 964 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
69-70 front fender black out areas
« on: May 22, 2021, 03:56:59 PM »
I’ve seen the pictures posted on Concourse Mustang about this subject but I’m not sure I’ve got a good grasp of the whole thing. I’m attaching a picture of what mine looks like since being painted, I understand that the lower part of the inside of the leading edge of the fender should be blacked out as in Jeff Speegle’s picture  (2nd attachments) but how far back towards the radiator support is blacked out? Also, my painter painted the hood pin attachment base in a  gloss black...should the blackout on the fender and bracket be a satin, semi gloss or flat black? Also the same sheen for the black behind the turn indicator? And the stone deflector where the fog lamps are mounted, what sheen of black is that? All of these things were painted gloss black by my painter.
Thank you

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 69-70 front fender black out areas
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 06:00:55 PM »
Lots of points to cover so forgive me if I don't address them all on first attempt.

First the paint applied to the thin edge lip of the fender and the panels behind those (not the hood latch brackets) were not black but dark gray grill color

These were also applied before the front end was installed on the uni-body. The gray traveled to the rear edge of the panels that received the color. This detail may have been slightly different on very early 69 Shelbys but don't want to go off in a different direction at this point

Hood latch brackets would have been semi-gloss black similar to the radiator support but amount of gloss could be different since different time, place and paint than the radiator support paint

No the sheen was likely different on the turn indicator pockets since they were painted by different people, locations and possibly different paint type/brand. Guess you could use the same paint for both since they are not side by side once mounted and likely not compared by people viewing the car
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 06:03:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

• View Profile
Re: 69-70 front fender black out areas
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 06:28:41 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your help.