News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

I owned her for 48 years....purchased new (Updated)

Started by Hardtravelin, May 23, 2021, 07:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardtravelin

2052. She ran with the big dogs. Amateur....but we felt we did Carroll proud. We showed more taillight than we saw. Sold her in 2015. Shelbys had become money - not muscle. Adios SAAC. Never looked back.
Fast forward 6 years....surprise....she's on an internet auction. Pussycats talk some trash about her. I don't own her...but I still love her. I bark back. That leads to me posting some memories of my old warrior friend. Surprise again....my posts get very nice compliments.....I am flattered....I had never posted one single word on social media before last week.
Join me for a repost.....take a memory ride with 2052.

Dad was dying......he knew it....Mom knew it....it wasn't discussed....his nickname was "Iron Man". 

Dad and I never spent much time together (as a railroad freight conductor he was gone most of the time). But on that day back in 1967 we were together....fawning over some new Shelbys at the Akron Ford dealer......" Son, you're welcome to have the Pontiac for trade-in on this Shelby here...if you want"
DO I WANT! How else would a college kid afford a car that stickered in fuel injected Stingray range.

I was home on a visit.  2052 was there too....sleeping in Dad's garage. I proposed a ride....how about that long causeway that ran over the big reservoir supplying the city of Akron with water. So 2052 drove Dad and I over there on some winding back roads ....the Shelby had to like this more than that boring point A to point B straight line stuff that I asked of her in years prior. This was her true calling.

Dark night....causeway empty of headlights. Pavement baby ass smooth. Ran the gears gently .... held steady around 110.  Car was ready for more....I wasn't... blowing a tire meant drowning. I think I told Dad we were doing 120.....wanted him to have max thrill. ( I doubt you can feel any difference between 20 and 120 in a modern Shelby....technology being what it is now....how boring would that be uh?... 2052 was not boring.....going 120?....you knew it)  The roar of the exhaust mixed with the wind noise and tire whistle was intoxicating. I felt I could just drive Dad straight on up into heaven.

I had to get Dad home for his PM meds. Helping Dad up the stairs he says to me "you still drive a bit fast son"..... Yea Pop I gotta work on that.

Years later Mom told me that Dad would sneak out in the garage, sit in 2052's passenger seat, and take a nap listening to his Guy Lombardo music.

Go make some memories with your Pop....most are better men than you will ever realize.

Footnote:
I have known many good men and many good cars. All have a story. Some are just more interesting than others. I turned 74 today....more road behind me now than ahead. Guess I'm getting gabby.

UPDATE.  Sorry should have introduced 2052.  Bad manners.  1966/white/blue/4 gear/ AHRA2FX 1969-1974/Boss 302 heads/ Hurst/ Hookers/ Lakewood/Americans/Locker/3:89-4:56 tried um all

69mach351w

Cool Story, Thanks for sharing your memories ;)

My Step Dad has been gone for 10 years now and I keep the fond memories of him always in my mind ;)

68blk500c

Wonderful memories for you and touching for me.  Thank you for sharing!!!

Side-Oilers

Quote from: Hardtravelin on May 23, 2021, 07:36:07 PM
2052. She ran with the big dogs. Amateur....but we felt we did Carroll proud. We showed more taillight than we saw. Sold her in 2015. Shelbys had become money - not muscle. Adios SAAC. Never looked back.
Fast forward 6 years....surprise....she's on an internet auction. Pussycats talk some trash about her. I don't own her...but I still love her. I bark back. That leads to me posting some memories of my old warrior friend. Surprise again....my posts get very nice compliments.....I am flattered....had never posted one single word on social media previously.
Joint me for a repost.....take a memory ride with 2052.

Dad was dying......he knew it....Mom knew it....it wasn't discussed....his nickname was "Iron Man". 

Dad and I never spent much time together (as a railroad freight conductor he was gone most of the time). But on that day back in 1967 we were together....fawning over some new Shelbys at the Akron Ford dealer......" Son, you're welcome to have the Pontiac for trade-in on this Shelby here...if you want"
DO I WANT! How else would a college kid afford a car that stickered in fuel injected Stingray range.

I was home on a visit.  2052 was there too....sleeping in Dad's garage. I proposed a ride....how about that long causeway that ran over the big reservoir supplying the city of Akron with water. So 2052 drove Dad and I over there on some winding back roads ....the Shelby had to like this more than that boring point A to point B straight line stuff that I asked of her in years prior. This was her true calling.

Dark night....causeway empty of headlights. Pavement baby ass smooth. Ran the gears gently .... held steady around 110.  Car was ready for more....I wasn't... blowing a tire meant drowning. I think I told Dad we were doing 120.....wanted him to have max thrill. ( I doubt you can feel any difference between 20 and 120 in a modern Shelby....technology being what it is now....how boring would that be uh?... 2052 was not boring.....going 120?....you knew it)  The roar of the exhaust mixed with the wind noise and tire whistle was intoxicating. I felt I could just drive Dad straight on up into heaven.

I had to get Dad home for his PM meds. Helping Dad up the stairs he says to me "you still drive a bit fast son"..... yea Pop I gotta work on that.

Years later Mom told me that Dad would sneak out in the garage, sit in 2052's passenger seat, and take a nap listening to his Guy Lombardo music.

Go make some memories with your Pop....most are better men than you will ever realize.

I have known many good men and many good cars. All have a story. Some are just more interesting than others. I turned 74 today....more road behind me now than ahead. Guess I'm getting gabby.

Really nice.  Car time with our dads makes for great memories.   

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Kent

Really the best 1st post you can do at SAAC, congrats. Welcome to the family.

And your post came at the right time for me, thank you for that.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

shelbydoug

...and 2052 is what? It can't be a '65 or a 427 Cobra, other then that it could be anything? :)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

silverton_ford

dbm350

Hey Dave! I was just reading your post and realized you are the guy I was talking to Sat. afternoon. My wife and I had the 66 Hertz car. We really enjoyed hearing about your time with the Shelby. I did not realize it was your birthday, so Happy Birthday! I have one in a few days- 72. We commented later in the day how much we enjoyed meeting you and listening to your experiences. What were the chances we would meet up at a small town 15 car cruise-in! Keep telling those stories!

Doug

tesgt350

Quote from: silverton_ford on May 24, 2021, 09:55:25 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on May 24, 2021, 09:44:29 AM
...and 2052 is what? It can't be a '65 or a 427 Cobra, other then that it could be anything? :)

This is 2052.
http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=14956.msg122631#msg122631

According to his story, his was a 1967 Shelby.  He bought it new and sold it in 2015 (48 Years).

silverton_ford

Quote from: tesgt350 on May 24, 2021, 10:43:42 AM
Quote from: silverton_ford on May 24, 2021, 09:55:25 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on May 24, 2021, 09:44:29 AM

This is 2052.
http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=14956.msg122631#msg122631

According to his story, his was a 1967 Shelby.  He bought it new and sold it in 2015 (48 Years).

Check out the comments made by "Hardtravelin" on the 6S2052 Bring A Trailer auction.  - https://bringatrailer.com/member/hardtravelin/   

I know he said 1967 in the post above, but I believe that is the year he bought 6S2052, not the year of the car.  Many more memories and history of this car in the auction comments.  Last week when the car was up for auction it was a lot of fun to see what post was coming next.  They are fun to read with amazing detail just like the first post above.  Great history.   :) 

We need more threads on the forum like this.   :)

6972boss

Wow, what great story! I guess your pops and mine are chewing the same heavenly dirt up there. I bought my dad a 67 500 #3119. He was never really a car guy but really got to love the ride and attention it brought. Before he passed, he admitted it was his favorite car. He admitted he would show many people the tail lights and loved blowin em in the weeds!
It was the catalyst that held us close right up to his last day.
Thank you for sharing, brought a big smile to my ol face!

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

68krrrr

Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

whiteykr

Thanks for the post and maybe I will share one in a few days.
Brad

Richstang

Quote from: 6972boss on May 24, 2021, 12:51:04 PM
Wow, what great story! I guess your pops and mine are chewing the same heavenly dirt up there. I bought my dad a 67 500 #3119. He was never really a car guy but really got to love the ride and attention it brought. Before he passed, he admitted it was his favorite car. He admitted he would show many people the tail lights and loved blowin em in the weeds!
It was the catalyst that held us close right up to his last day.
Thank you for sharing, brought a big smile to my ol face!

Was this your Dad? Hopefully this gives you a smile.
My Dad was a Chevy guy!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar