News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1968 GT350 Convertible - Might anyone know where to source these?

Started by glord, May 28, 2021, 11:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glord

Trim piece between upper edge of rear quarter panel and inside weather strip/glass.  In picture the piece marked with gold / / / /.

Thank you, Gary

Bob Gaines

Quote from: glord on May 28, 2021, 11:07:44 AM
Trim piece between upper edge of rear quarter panel and inside weather strip/glass.  In picture the piece marked with gold / / / /.

Thank you, Gary
As far as i know you have to make it using a regular Mustang interior quarter panel.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

Has to be from 68 mustang convertible. Coupe and 67 different

glord

Thank you both. I did find this old eBay listing. I'm assuming this is what I'm looking for.  However, I've yet to find these offered anywhere. May need to try to fabricate something close. Currently there is just a piece of black electrical tape covering the gap. 😑

Quote from: TLea on May 28, 2021, 05:45:49 PM

I always thought that those were the same for 1964.5-1968 Mustang convertibles.  What is unique to the '68?

If they really are the same, a quick Google search pulls up this repro:

https://www.kentuckymustang.com/product-p/14830.htm

Quote from: 1968 on May 28, 2021, 06:22:08 PM
Quote from: TLea on May 28, 2021, 05:45:49 PM

I always thought that those were the same for 1964.5-1968 Mustang convertibles.  What is unique to the '68?

If they really are the same, a quick Google search pulls up this repro:

https://www.kentuckymustang.com/product-p/14830.htm

Just looking at a bunch of photos of 1967 and 1968 Mustang convertibles, it looks like the button snap for the top boot at the top rear may be absent on this part on some 1968 cars.  But it looks like it may be a running production change (maybe early versus late production?), like the rear quarter panel reflector, the dash knee pad, the windshield pillar pads, the redline tach, etc.  I am not sure if there is an early/late model year pattern to it.  In any event, I do not see any other differences, so it would seem that either type might be correct, and the repro would seem to work since it would be pretty easy to weld up the hole for the button snap, if you need to match the other side.

Quote from: 68blk500c on May 28, 2021, 09:15:20 PM
You mean, like these?

Great photos.  I did not disassemble or look down in there, but it looks like they just cut the Mustang part off near the top?  And it looks just the same as the '67 Mustang part, and maybe earlier years too.  That should make it fairly easy to find an original Mustang part and cut it, or use the repro and cut it.

CharlesTurner

Were '68 Mustang convertibles slated to become Shelbys have the full rear interior quarter panels installed with the vinyl covered fiberglass section?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

68blk500c

My guess is yes, simply because the rest of the interior was in place.

Quote from: 68blk500c on May 29, 2021, 10:35:44 AM
My guess is yes, simply because the rest of the interior was in place.
And then they just cut the metal Mustang part off near the top and added the Shelby interior quarter panel part to the cut-off remainder of the Mustang part?

68blk500c

SA had to remove the rear seat and interior panels in order to install the roll bar, plus hardware extending the window crank, plus the inertial reel for the shoulder belt, as well as a couple of brackets.  They had to fish the radio antenna cable to the trunk.  They had to attach the quarter scoops. 

These upper trim pieces are perfectly cut; meaning a straight, smooth edge--without evidence of hap-hazard cutting.  So, what was the process??  Not sure anyone really knows at this point.

TLea

Quote from: TLea on May 30, 2021, 04:06:15 PM
Profile at front of trim is different on 68
Actually, the 1967 Mustang part seems to be exactly the same, at least as on early 1968 cars.  I am not sure about later 1968 cars.  I had an early 1968 Mustang convertible that had a ding on one side of those.  Back when those cars were easy to find in junkyards, I found a 1967 Mustang convertible and pulled that part to put in my car.  It sure looked exactly the same as the 1968 part on the other side.