News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Looking for “lost” engines

Started by Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas, May 30, 2021, 10:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Years ago we had a friend that owned a Donzi boat with an alleged 289 HiPo that had been swapped out when the harmonic balancer slipped. He swapped it out for a 302 and kept the 289 for years until dumping in the woods maybe 20 years ago. This weekend he returned from Florida and we went searching for the engine.
After walking around in the tick infested woods we found it, laying in a ditch. We had to get the tractor to lift it out. He had changed the heads to a 302 style back in the late 60's and we were hoping at least parts of the short block were HiPo (cranks, rods, hatchet weight, etc)   To say it was in rough shape was an understatement, apparently water had collection in the heads and split the coolant chambers, the block was covered in dirt and we couldn't get any of the pan bolts loose. So we cut the pan off hoping to find the elusive HiPo 289.
Unfortunately it seems to be either a 302 J code or a 289 D code, no HiPo parts were in this block
He now thinks that may be the "other engine" and the 289 HiPo is in "the other garage" at his other house
The search continues
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .