Author Topic: Early Production 1969 Shelby Convertible Carpeting  (Read 5536 times)

nightmist67

• View Profile
Early Production 1969 Shelby Convertible Carpeting
« on: June 01, 2021, 07:19:42 PM »
What is the correct configuration (carpet type; vinyl mat shape(s) and locations (w/ or w/o toe pad); vinyl mat color) for a 1969 GT350 convertible (maroon with white upholstery) built in  December 1968? 

Does/can anyone produce an accurate reproduction carpet for this application?  The only commercially produced  carpeting that I have found so far is a NPD listing of carpeting for a 1969 Shelby convertible (black raylon with red vinyl rectangular mat inserts in all four footwell locations). 

Any applicable illustrations of the correct configuration would be appreciated.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Early Production 1969 Shelby Convertible Carpeting
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 07:25:43 PM »
What is the correct configuration (carpet type; vinyl mat shape(s) and locations (w/ or w/o toe pad); vinyl mat color) for a 1969 GT350 convertible (maroon with white upholstery) built in  December 1968? 

Does/can anyone produce an accurate reproduction carpet for this application?  The only commercially produced  carpeting that I have found so far is a NPD listing of carpeting for a 1969 Shelby convertible (black raylon with red vinyl rectangular mat inserts in all four footwell locations). 

The convertible "typically" got the black inserts and the fastback the red/orange.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 09:33:18 PM »
Back in 1975 My 70 GT500 conv. had black and my buddies 70 GT500 FB had Red carpet inserts, I still have my car and his was stole long ago

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 04:45:08 AM »

For your white interior Shelby Convertible just order a standard black interior Mustang convertible carpet with just a heel pad. They will make them that way. Once received remember to open the box and double check just in case. Check for other issue while your at it because if you wait months it will be much more difficult to return and have the problems fixed or the carpet replaced

The whole white interior effects the carpet on both Shelby fastbacks and convertible in 69-70.  Though there have been a very few fastbacks that receive regular Mach I (red insert) carpets because a supply issue or because some one was not paying enough attention on the assembly line

Allot of this has been muddied over the years since allot of owners changed style when they replaced the original carpet

Have a fair number of pictures but its early morning. Believe this has all been discussed with pictures before but might have been before the big crash and wipe
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 05:25:30 AM »

For your white interior Shelby Convertible just order a standard black interior Mustang convertible carpet with just a heel pad. They will make them that way. Once received remember to open the box and double check just in case. Check for other issue while your at it because if you wait months it will be much more difficult to return and have the problems fixed or the carpet replaced

The whole white interior effects the carpet on both Shelby fastbacks and convertible in 69-70.  Though there have been a very few fastbacks that receive regular Mach I (red insert) carpets because a supply issue or because some one was not paying enough attention on the assembly line

Allot of this has been muddied over the years since allot of owners changed style when they replaced the original carpet

Have a fair number of pictures but its early morning. Believe this has all been discussed with pictures before but might have been before the big crash and wipe
So to be clear you are talking about white interior FB Shelbys not getting the red inserted carpet? So what should they have? 4 black inserts or just the standard interior DS front heel pad?

All black interior FB Shelbys should have gotten the red inserts?

I have seen to be the norm of white interior FBs on the SAAC NV site with white interior and red insert carpet and other internet searches. So this is not the norm, Jeff?

There should also be no red stripes on the white seats in FBs-correct(looks hideous when it is there)?

These questions have been posed to me recently and I could not answer with a 100 percent certainty-only what I have seen.

So I have also seen a blue 69 Mach1 online that was a thoroughbred car and no red inserted carpet on his white interior. http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1704-a-perfect-1969-mustang-mach-1//photo-gallery/#/   
So again, is this the norm on a white interior for 63C interiors that you know of?'

So how does the white interior affect the carpet on verts? I have a black interior with just the heel pad on my DS front. No other mats. How would a white interior affect that? Shouldn't it be the same-heel pad on DS front only and black carpet?  Thanks. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 06:03:19 AM »

The convertible "typically" got the black inserts and the fastback the red/orange.
So my vert (May 69) only had the standard carpet in it when I replaced in 1990. Ed saw my car and said to cut the toe pad out which I did. So do you mean "insert" as in one or all 4? Did Ford actually product a Mach1 carpet with 4 black inserts? My take being in the midwest was mostly black interiors with the red inserts. I had a friend who in 1977 bought a low mileage 1 owner Acapulco blue original paint S code Mach1 with a white interior. It had white shag carpet in it and on the door panels. When he took out the white carpet(over laid on the black) it revealed the best looking red inserts I had ever seen to this day on a 69. That is why I remember it Bob. As with my questions to Jeff I'm trying to learn the nuances of white interior "Mach1" 63C cars and also 76B verts. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 10:54:10 AM »
I will do a webpage sometime soon

Here is what I think so far 🤔...

Fastbacks

Black interior/ black carpet with red inserts / red stripe on black seats

White interior/ black carpet with red inserts / no stripe on white seats

Red interior/ red carpet with red inserts/ no stripe on red seats

Convertible

Black interior/ black carpet with black inserts /  no stripe on seats*

White interior/ black carpet with black inserts / no stripe on seats

No Red interiors

I think there might be some oddities, so I will update as needed

*some later cars may have had red stripes
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 11:18:51 AM by Coralsnake »

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 11:26:56 AM »
I will do a webpage sometime soon

Here is what I think so far 🤔...

Fastbacks

Black interior/ black carpet with red inserts / red stripe on black seats

White interior/ black carpet with red inserts / no stripe on white seats

Red interior/ red carpet with red inserts/ no stripe on red seats

Convertible

Black interior/ black carpet with black inserts /  no stripe on seats*

White interior/ black carpet with black inserts / no stripe on seats

No Red interiors

I think there might be some oddities, so I will update as needed

*some later cars may have had red stripes
My vert never had 4 inserts in the carpet just like Boss 9s didn't with the same basic deluxe interior. When Ed looked at my car many years ago he said cut the toe pad out and the carpet is correct.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 11:31:24 AM »
A convertible carpet and a Boss9 carpet really cant be compared

My understanding is the bodystyle is the determining factor
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 11:59:58 AM by Coralsnake »

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 01:07:05 PM »
A convertible carpet and a Boss9 carpet really cant be compared

My understanding is the bodystyle is the determining factor
my take was both got the same interior as a Mach1 but without the red carpet inserts or red stripes on black seats. That's all. Only 63C designated cars should have gotten the red inserts. Bosses like Shelby verts were "B's 63B and 76B. My next question is about the black inserts. 4? I don't recall seeing anything but red inserts in the rear of any 69 Mustang over my years. I not saying it didn't happen but my take on owning many 69s. I'm still learning and want to know what is correct so thanks for the help on this. Gary
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 01:12:55 PM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 02:12:14 PM »
I think the convertible floor carpet is going to be molded differently and therefore not interchangeable.

The red stripe on the seats is an artifact of the Mach 1 interior, so its not normally found on convertibles.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 03:19:40 PM »
I think the convertible floor carpet is going to be molded differently and therefore not interchangeable.

The red stripe on the seats is an artifact of the Mach 1 interior, so its not normally found on convertibles.
I agree on that. the carpet is different.  My take is that verts only got the heel pad in the carpet on the drivers side. No other pads. My car only had the heel pad in it. The only cars with red stripes on the seats are 63C models. All others with comfortweave got no red stripe(black interiors). Bosses, deluxe FBs, etc. that had the comfortweave highback as the optional upholstery. Here are a few verts with car numbers. last one has toe pad in carpet so replaced carpet.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 03:49:38 PM »
Before I begin responding some history. Aver ten year ago during the review of judging rules. During this process and with some questions that came up from some that were restoring 69-70 Shelbys and 69 Mach I's se revisted some long standing rules and understanding and question how they were determined and if there were documentation of those. That began a study that eventually changed the written rules in both MCA and SAAC judging rules I think this was over ten years ago. Sure I could figure out the exact date  for SAAC would have taken place when we did the big rewrite at least.

So to be clear you are talking about white interior FB Shelbys not getting the red inserted carpet? So what should they have? 4 black inserts or just the standard interior DS front heel pad?

Like Mach I's of the same period that appears to be well documented.  Forgive me if I try and stay on thread for a moment (white convertible 69 -70 Shelby and 76B white interior Mustang convertible

So how does the white interior affect the carpet on verts? I have a black interior with just the heel pad on my DS front. No other mats. How would a white interior affect that? Shouldn't it be the same-heel pad on DS front only and black carpet?  Thanks. Gary

The color of the interior on the deluxe/Mach I interior does effect the carpet installed originally it appears based on unrestored cars. For the convertible have been able to document that Ford ever made a convertible carpet with four red inserts in it. Original interior cars show only a black heel pad for the drivers floor section
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 03:59:28 PM »
Before I begin responding some history. Aver ten year ago during the review of judging rules. During this process and with some questions that came up from some that were restoring 69-70 Shelbys and 69 Mach I's se revisted some long standing rules and understanding and question how they were determined and if there were documentation of those. That began a study that eventually changed the written rules in both MCA and SAAC judging rules I think this was over ten years ago. Sure I could figure out the exact date  for SAAC would have taken place when we did the big rewrite at least.

Like Mach I's of the same period that appears to be well documented.  Forgive me if I try and stay on thread for a moment (white convertible 69 -70 Shelby and 76B white interior Mustang convertible

The color of the interior on the deluxe/Mach I interior does effect the carpet installed originally it appears based on unrestored cars. For the convertible have been able to document that Ford ever made a convertible carpet with four red inserts in it. Original interior cars show only a black heel pad for the drivers floor section
So I am under the impression that Mach1s could only be had with a white, red or black interior in 1969 so red inserts on carpet on  all 3? I know going back to 1970s with my friend's all original 2 owner Acapulco Blue Mach it had red inserts on a white interior car.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 04:01:39 PM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 01:33:03 PM »
Convertible carpet is uniquely moulded with only a heel pad that is not as wide as coupe fastback because of the vert inner rockers that support the body since they dont have a roof like hardtops so the vert carpet is moulded out 2-3" around the inner rockers before it drops down unlike a hardtop carpet drops down by sill plates. I have black interior 69 shelby verts that have red stripe seats but i think some were put in cars by mistake. Red insert carpet was a  69 mach 1 only thing and 69 shelbys stated out being mach1s. The problem is so many cars have had carpet replaced by now and car owners bought whatever was sold to them or what was available or what they liked at that time. The problem i see is 69 shelby fastbacks with white interior some have red inserts and some have regular carpet with the heel pad only and i dont know if that was a running change or what. I think the red carpet inserts on white interior fastback shelbys looks odd. The front carpet is the same on coupe and cougars and fastbacks but the rear is different around the back seat area. Early 69 mustangs  may have the toe plate like the 68s .
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:37:29 PM by Special Ed »