News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1969 Interior summary discussion revisited

Started by Coralsnake, June 03, 2021, 07:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Interior Warranty code / color / carpet info / seat info

Fastbacks

3A/3AA- Black interior/ black carpet with red inserts / red stripe on black seats

3W/3WA- White interior/ black carpet with red inserts / no stripe on white seats

3DA- Red interior/ red carpet with red inserts/ no stripe on red seats

Convertible

FA/FAA- Black interior/ black carpet with black insert (driver front only) /  no stripe on seats*

FW/FWA- White interior/ black carpet with black insert (driver front only) / no stripe on seats

No Red interiors on convertibles

*some convertibles may have received red stripes on seats

The deviation code is an early/late feature
Possibly to denote change from teak woodgrain/ to walnut woodgrain

Note: Some early convertibles cars had odd combinations of white/black interiors

If you have anything to contribute, please do

shelbymann1970

Thanks Pete. Other than the term "black inserts" implies that there was more than just the driver's side heel insert. Have you seen a vert with black inserts in all 4 spots? I always wondered about the extra A. One running change you mentioned in the teak grain. Could the elimination of the lower rear lights be part of a running change? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

Corrected above to reflect clarification of carpet inserts and woodgrain

Thanks to everyone that has assisted.

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on June 03, 2021, 08:47:52 AM
....Could the elimination of the lower rear lights be part of a running change? Gary

It appears it was for both fastbacks and convertibles abd this appears to be a Shelby only thing rather than the other things (carpet and wood grain) that were shared with the Mustangs
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Pete my past studies of the white and red interior carpet inserts on Mach I and Shelby is very different than your initial post. Just to start do you have any unrestored examples with four Mach I  red inserts along with the part number of the carpet set from the back side?  That is where some of this started when we looked into to the subject in the past and came up with different carpets

As mentioned in the prior thread allot of carpet got replaced in the first ten years or less and it appears that the line used the same carpet as the black Mach I sometimes either due to supply or just a screw up. Never had a ton  of examples and it didn't seem that charting the findings was worth it to see if the different carpets would provide a pattern
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

Thank you Jeff

I do not have examples with part numbers

I will look through the photos I have, but I thought it was best to get a starting point.

I certainly will adjust as more information comes to the thread.

I welcome more information.

I think you might agree there was one intended design for each code, substitution was always a potential.

I just want to get some basics we can agree on. That way we have a baseline.

We need Eds input as well

J_Speegle

Do we want to agree to look and compare Mustangs with the same interior codes or keep this Shelby only?

Coralsnake

I think Shelby only for now.

I am going to check my rug for stencil part number.

Adding those would be helpful

shelbymann1970

Quote from: J_Speegle on June 03, 2021, 06:23:16 PM
Do we want to agree to look and compare Mustangs with the same interior codes or keep this Shelby only?
While we are dealing with Shelby only there were 3 colors for a Shelby  FB interior. What I have found is that Ford only offered 3 color interiors for a 69 Mach1 also(63C body). Is that correct? I know 70 Mustangs  had more but were there only 3 for 69 and why Shelbys only saw 3 interior colors? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on June 04, 2021, 03:01:51 PM
While we are dealing with Shelby only there were 3 colors for a Shelby  FB interior. What I have found is that Ford only offered 3 color interiors for a 69 Mach1 also(63C body). Is that correct? I know 70 Mustangs  had more but were there only 3 for 69 and why Shelbys only saw 3 interior colors? Gary

Yes Mustangs and Shelbys in 69 had a choice of a limited number of color options Black - Red - White

Hotrod Hillbilly

Here's the original carpet out of my Shelby #1141. Even though it was a molded carpet it was cut and spliced in the corner for better fit. Don't know what they use for glue but you couldn't pull the reinforcement piece off if you tried.