Author Topic: How to repair stripped gas needle valve  (Read 1555 times)

jimtaylor

• View Profile
How to repair stripped gas needle valve
« on: June 03, 2021, 01:24:38 PM »
One of the needle valves on my 68 GT500 is stripped and won't hold in place. Anyone know where to find an insert or have repair recommendations? I was thinking Holley had a repair kit at one time but can't seem to find one. The carburetor is original and I really don't want to have to replace the bowl. Any suggestions appreciated.

rockhouse66

• View Profile
Re: How to repair stripped gas needle valve
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 07:59:52 PM »
These folks can fix it.  Give them a call to describe the process.

https://www.daytonaparts.com/

https://www.daytonaparts.com/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:48:06 AM by rockhouse66 »

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 10:47:17 PM »
As to the fuel bowl, a Helicoil insert could be installed. It would require someone that is proficient in the use of the inserts. I would think that green Loc-Tite would be used to secure the insert into the fuel bowl. There is a minimal amount of threads actually in that area. I have seen this many times, typically the cause is over tightening the float level lock nut.

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 07:49:25 AM »
I don't know why my link to Daytona Parts Company is so tiny/invisible, but if you click it, it will work.  They insert a threaded brass sleeve and pin it in place.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 09:30:29 AM »
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 11:03:28 AM »
I believe Jim is sending the bowl to me.  I use the same insert, works really nice....
Wish the insert was cheaper, I'd use it more often on CJ dual entry bowls as there is a ton more meat to thread into compared to the stock center hung bowl.

I see the damage mostly from those old borg warner needle and seats with the oring and locking nut that pulls up on the threads.

jimtaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 11:26:15 AM »
Thanks all. I think I know how to proceed from here. And yes, the problem was overtightening the valve seat. It doesn't take much to strip the threads - a note of caution to anyone trying to make adjustments.