Author Topic: Auto Shifter Handle Original Or Repro ?  (Read 1427 times)

Fast Fords

• View Profile
Auto Shifter Handle Original Or Repro ?
« on: June 03, 2021, 08:06:25 PM »
I have a '68 automatic shifter handle. I am not sure if it is an original or if it is a reproduction. One thing I can tell you is that it has a set screw on it to tighten it on. Did repop's have this or is it an original ?
I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow.
Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Shifter Handle Original Or Repro ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 06:00:12 PM »
Pics should do the trick.  Here are two I have in my collection.  One is an original, the other a repop.  (Just ignore that the original doesn't have the black push button installed). You'll find repops with threaded holes and non threaded holes/set screw, so that doesn't help.  For me, I've noticed the metal bridge between the two wooden pieces are flat on originals and curved on later repops.  There may be reproductions that have flat features, but I haven't seen one yet.   Perhaps someone with more experience can weigh in.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Fast Fords

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 08:07:54 PM »
Here are a few pictures of the one that I have. It appears to be flat on the top also. the hole does not seem to be threaded and I am also missing the black push button.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:10:17 PM by Fast Fords »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 01:57:06 AM »
Originals has set screw visible when in park .Most repros have the set screw on the opposite side which looks better IMO but not factory.  The routed out wood for the snake on most repros is not as well done as the ones that came on assemblyline cars or early service replacements. FYI I still have a few NOS shift handle snake emblems to replace lost ones.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby