News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 KR came with 69 rims

Started by Jack4159, June 05, 2021, 11:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

The attached paperwork shows 4159 was purchased new 31.3.69 and was then part of the U-01(1969 Shelby wheels))wheel recall campaign, date of recall/wheel replacement shows as 5.6.69, so it seems 4159 likely left the dealer with 69 rims but who knows for sure.
I've read through another thread on this forum with general consensus mostly that the U-01 recall was due to the glue holding the steel rim to the alloy center letting go, but there was also some discussion that it was to do with the lug nuts coming loose.
Interesting thing about my wheels is that while 4159 was part of the U-01 recall campaign the wheels on it are of the glued, not riveted type.
I've attached a pic which shows they are dated 5/68, so I'm curious if anyone else has any 69 wheels replaced under the U-01 recall that were not riveted.
Anyway, that's just for interest and maybe something dodgy went on with 4159's wheel recall.

After all that, I do have a question....Whilst my original wheels appear sound they are 53yrs old, glued style and the chrome has some imperfections......so....I'm putting my original wheels on the shelf and replacing them with 69 Paradise wheels(bit of a wait but that's OK), would the 15x 8" rim(rather than 15 x 7") present any problems?
Will 15x8 all around fit OK or should I go 15x7 front and 15x8rear?

The obvious question(so I will answer in advance) is why not take the opportunity to put 68 10 spokes on, or 68 original rims if I could find them...     
Reason is, I can't warm to the 10 spokes, love the look of the 69 wheels on my car and it seems that's the way it came so I'm keeping it that way. And it's an easy switch out for any future owners that may want to, not that I have any intention to sell...ever. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Geoff 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jack4159 on June 05, 2021, 11:43:10 AM
The attached paperwork shows 4159 was purchased new 31.3.69 and was then part of the U-01(1969 Shelby wheels))wheel recall campaign, date of recall/wheel replacement shows as 5.6.69, so it seems 4159 likely left the dealer with 69 rims but who knows for sure.
I've read through another thread on this forum with general consensus mostly that the U-01 recall was due to the glue holding the steel rim to the alloy center letting go, but there was also some discussion that it was to do with the lug nuts coming loose.
Interesting thing about my wheels is that while 4159 was part of the U-01 recall campaign the wheels on it are of the glued, not riveted type.
I've attached a pic which shows they are dated 5/68, so I'm curious if anyone else has any 69 wheels replaced under the U-01 recall that were not riveted.
Anyway, that's just for interest and maybe something dodgy went on with 4159's wheel recall.

After all that, I do have a question....Whilst my original wheels appear sound they are 53yrs old, glued style and the chrome has some imperfections......so....I'm putting my original wheels on the shelf and replacing them with 69 Paradise wheels(bit of a wait but that's OK), would the 15x 8" rim(rather than 15 x 7") present any problems?
Will 15x8 all around fit OK or should I go 15x7 front and 15x8rear?

The obvious question(so I will answer in advance) is why not take the opportunity to put 68 10 spokes on, or 68 original rims if I could find them...     
Reason is, I can't warm to the 10 spokes, love the look of the 69 wheels on my car and it seems that's the way it came so I'm keeping it that way. And it's an easy switch out for any future owners that may want to, not that I have any intention to sell...ever. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Geoff
Attached paperwork is not attached. ::) I only see the pictures of the wheels. I suppose a left over 68 sold in 1969 could have had i69 wheels put on it . Just because a 68 was sold in 69 doesn't mean it automatically came with 69 Shelby wheels . Paperwork would be nice to see substantiating the claim.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jack4159

Apologies, think I attached wrong file type, hopefully works this time🙂.

Royce Peterson

Looks to be a receipt for "Wheels Only" dated June of 1969 so the car was about a year old then.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bill

Quote from: Royce Peterson on June 06, 2021, 01:31:45 PM
Looks to be a receipt for "Wheels Only" dated June of 1969 so the car was about a year old then.
You have to look closely, the wheels are listed under the U-01 recall along with new lug nuts, the paperwork attached is not a sales receipt but an internal warranty sheet.

Submitted the same day 1584 was built. Work done 4/5/69, approved 7/15/69 for reimbursement
Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Royce Peterson

He's got a 1968 GT500KR. It wasn't built in 1969 and didn't come with 1969 wheels when it was new.

Quote from: Bill on June 06, 2021, 01:38:01 PM
You have to look closely, the wheels are listed under the U-01 recall along with new lug nuts, the paperwork attached is not a sales receipt but an internal warranty sheet.

Submitted the same day 1584 was built. Work done 4/5/69, approved 7/15/69 for reimbursement
Bill

Tired Sheep

The only way the dealer would replace the wheels was to get the defective wheels back. This is a warranty document

I dont think anyone is saying it was "built with" 69 wheels

But it could have been sold new with them, Noller apparently switched them out.

Its frustrating how inflexible some are....even with factory paperwork

Bill

Yet, the dealer warranty paperwork shows his cars VIN with the requested warranty paperwork, parts used, dates from initial submission, to approval by Ford management.  Dealers where known to swap out such ancillary items as rims to make a sale, or spiff up a car they wanted to sell off the lot. In this cars case, I'd say the paperwork is sufficient enough to make the OP's case that the car was "sold new" with them installed.

Just my two cents worth.

Bill

Quote from: Royce Peterson on June 06, 2021, 01:51:59 PM
He's got a 1968 GT500KR. It wasn't built in 1969 and didn't come with 1969 wheels when it was new.

Quote from: Bill on June 06, 2021, 01:38:01 PM

Bill

Royce Peterson

Not seeing anything that said the car was new then. Very unlikely IMHO.

Quote from: Bill on June 06, 2021, 02:11:30 PM
Yet, the dealer warranty paperwork shows his cars VIN with the requested warranty paperwork, parts used, dates from initial submission, to approval by Ford management.  Dealers where known to swap out such ancillary items as rims to make a sale, or spiff up a car they wanted to sell off the lot. In this cars case, I'd say the paperwork is sufficient enough to make the OP's case that the car was "sold new" with them installed.

Just my two cents worth.

Bill

Bill

Quote from: Royce Peterson on June 06, 2021, 02:21:50 PM
Not seeing anything that said the car was new then. Very unlikely IMHO.

Quote from: Bill on June 06, 2021, 02:11:30 PM

Just my two cents worth.

Bill

Did you scroll to the right and look under the date of sale. 3/31/69

My warranty paperwork for the same recall (I got the updated lug nuts only) does not have the date of the recall service listed, but the date the car was originally sold. In this case, I imagine leftover 68, sitting midway down the lot, a little dust and dirt, waiting for a big ticket buyer. Buy likes the car, but hates the rims installed. Sees a 69, and tells the salesperson to change them out and he/she will buy the car on the spot.

Just one of many scenarios rolling around in my head this afternoon

Bill

Bob Gaines

The wheels could have been swapped out by the dealer when the car was sold new or they could have been bought shortly later . As has been said it was not uncommon for dealers to swap things around to make a sale. Owners were known to personalize cars shortly after buying too. A extra value item like different wheels would typically be shown as a additional cost item wether it was charged for or done at no charge on dealer new car paperwork.  The defective wheels would have been replaced in the same manor regardless of if sold on the car when new or if the wheels were purchased over the counter. The paperwork proves that the wheels were replaced early in the cars life however it doesn't prove that they were on the car when the car was sold new. It doesn't really matter unless you were going to show the car in a restored concours class at which point the case would have to be made if the out of the ordinary item was on the car when sold new or not.  Regardless it is a very a cool seldom seen piece of the cars history .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jack4159

My "subject title" should have been better worded, I'm not making any claim it came that way new. It may have, or the 69 wheels may have gone on in the 6 weeks or so between car purchase date and the recall date under U-01, I guess I will most likely never know.
Thanks Bob, I think it's pretty cool too and as I'm not building the car right now for show or concours, I figure I have some wriggle room and I like the idea of keeping the car in some respects at least, the way it spent most of it's life.
I've attached a another document that relates to the recall, same $ amount and same "invoice" number as the the recall document so it matches up but what is this?
Is it Shelby sending money to Toller motors or Toller motors sending money to Shelby?
Thank all.

Bill

That is a check from Shelby to Toller to cover the warranty work.

jguyer

I got 4201 from a non-Shelby dealer, Spiker Ford Mercury. Blew a fuse the day I got it, took it back to dealer. Two men in the service department, one changed the fuse while the other one tried to figure out how to get paid for warranty work. Fuse would haunt me for a while.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

Jack4159

Quote from: Bill on June 07, 2021, 08:39:54 AM
That is a check from Shelby to Toller to cover the warranty work.
Ahh OK I get it now, thanks Bill.