Author Topic: 1968 KR 4spd AC car  (Read 3955 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 KR 4spd AC car
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 08:18:23 AM »
The appraisal price does not have to be (and seldom is) the sale price. If the seller wants to sell the car he or she will have to decide what they will take. The buyer has to decide whether he or she wants to shell out that much cash. Appraisals are nice but they often are not the amount of cash it takes to make the deal.

Take a look at Jerry Heasley's videos on YouTube. You can see me looking at a 1968 Cougar GT-E. The original owner was about to sell the car for $15K to a flipper when I showed up.
Royce, do you have a link to that video? I've watched the 2 on the OO red GT-E. Thanks for the tidbits on the 427 cars. I know a guy locally who has 2 427 W Cougars. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 09:46:33 AM »
I think this is it:

https://youtu.be/fC0y2r0Fpck
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 10:40:06 AM »
The KR could have sold for more at auction or on BaT.  I think Jeff's evaluation was fair, considering the cost to restore it and purchase the missing parts (starter delay and carb are $$ items).  Figure an easy $100k+ would have to be spent for restoration and then it's getting into the area of concours values. 

Both of the cars being in Maryland probably had a lot of hidden rust issues and who knows what else (how bad was the LH hit on the KR?).  There are most likely pitted suspension/steering parts and lots of trim that will need to be replaced.  Evaluating 50+ year old cars is not the same as a 5 year old Camry, it's not easy to give an accurate assessment, especially on a car all put together.

It appears the buyer and seller found an agreeable middle ground that was fair to each and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2021, 10:50:07 AM »
The KR could have sold for more at auction or on BaT.  I think Jeff's evaluation was fair, considering the cost to restore it and purchase the missing parts (starter delay and carb are $$ items).  Figure an easy $100k+ would have to be spent for restoration and then it's getting into the area of concours values. 

Both of the cars being in Maryland probably had a lot of hidden rust issues and who knows what else (how bad was the LH hit on the KR?).  There are most likely pitted suspension/steering parts and lots of trim that will need to be replaced.  Evaluating 50+ year old cars is not the same as a 5 year old Camry, it's not easy to give an accurate assessment, especially on a car all put together.

It appears the buyer and seller found an agreeable middle ground that was fair to each and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.
I would also ask exactly when did Jeff do the appraisals as cars like these have jumped on BaT the last 6-8 months. From my experience dealing with project and less than stellar cars that you could drive but needing a resto you never deduct the cost of resto and parts from the final "concours" product done value. Over the years we have seen too many "project" cars sell for a lot more than their perceived value and I think Brett has touched on this subject before as he sells a lot of projects. As a matter of fact I have a good friend who has a 70 GT500 4 speed Shelby vert. I was serious about buying it until he shot me a price for my SCJ Mach1 and cash. He had his car in the "restored #2 driver" range price wise(I had it MUCH lower) and the issues I knew I had to fix on a really complete car(missing correct carb and do not know if it is a MN car) that needed metal/body work(new firewall and core support as it was cut for air)  I put the value at at least 90K LOWER than he thinks it is worth. It would make a "great" online auction car.....I decided to keep my Mach1 instead as I already have a red Shelby vert. Gary
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:52:53 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)