News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

On the column shifter

Started by deathsled, June 08, 2021, 01:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Apparently a few Challengers had steering column shifters back in the 70s and Graveyard Carz was restoring one with a 440. One of the show's guests Dagastino called it a cripple stick. I should not have found that funny but I did and outrageously so.  Growing up in Canada I never heard that one until yesterday. American humor versus British humour. The British humour slaps you across the face. The American humor punches you in the gut. Both are great.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

honker

I had a 66 Chevy wagon beater in the early '70s with what we called "3 on the tree"   ::) I'm in Canada.

Mike

deathsled

Yes, I always knew it as three on the tree.  A little more benign than the other descriptor.  But we were tougher in times past compared to today.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

roddster

I worked at Chrysler's Chicago pre-delivery center,June of 1970 to January of  1975. Seen quite a few cool muscle cars with the column shifter automatic. 'Cudas, Challengers, Chargers, Super Bees, Road Runners, GTXs.  Seems certain dealers did not recheck their factory order forms.

whiteykr

I still drive a 68 F100 with 3 on the tree and love it. People give me the thumbs up  in approval anytime I drive it.

KR500

My brother had a 71 Challenger that had some unusual options ( quit a few actually ) one combo was it was a 340 A/T car with a column shift and a bench seat. I had a 1970 F100 with a 3 on the tree. The problem with some vehicles with a three on the tree was a fast shift to second was hard on your knuckles. 

Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

98SVT - was 06GT

Automatics on the column was the norm when no console was ordered. Sticks were all on the floor on the muscle cars. My old 190D Mercedes had a 4 speed on the tree. My 67 Bronco was my last car with a column shifted stick.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

How quick was that MB in the quarter?  Less than an hour?

Was there a ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-Stock class it could run in?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model